Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB 2.0 ports not working on Precision M4500 laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 norseman197

norseman197

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:23 PM

I have a strange problem right now with my Precision M4500 laptop[8Gb Elpida 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM, 500Gb WD Black HD, Core i5@2.67Ghz]. I had wiped the hard drive by overwriting it with ones and zeroes. I then re-installed Windows 7 Professional 64 bit on the hard drive. I proceeded to install the necessary drivers in the order that Dell recommended. And I updated the BIOS to A15, if I'm remembering right. Unfortunately the USB 2.0 ports on either side of the laptop do not work. I tried uninstalling each port in Device Manager and then reinstalling, with no luck. I tried updating the drivers on the USB hubs and that didn't work.  I  tried updating the chipset drivers, but that didn't help the USB 2.0 port connectivity issue. So now I"m a bit frustrated to say the least. Does any one have any additional suggestions for things to try?

Oh yeah, I also tried to cycle the ports by connecting it up to a PR03X docking station and then disconnecting it. That didn't work either.

A further note: The USB ports seem to have at least some amount of power running through them, as I can hook up my USB powered Thermaltake laptop cooler to it and it the fan and blue LED light come one once connected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:29 PM

Welcome,

Have you downloaded and installed the USB drivers from the Dell site?

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 norseman197

norseman197
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:41 PM

There do not appear to be separate USB drivers for download, unless they are misnamed or differently named. I installed the chipset drivers and updated the BIOS. I also tried deleting the USB ports and updating the drivers for each USB port. Neither approach worked.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:00 PM

Go to Device Manager/USB Controllers...uninstall the drivers with "enhanced controller" in the description...leave everything else alone...reboot.  This should give you undamaged USB drivers.

It's the controllers that are important.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users