Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Video Output

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blitzkrieger23

Blitzkrieger23

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:30 PM

Hello,

So I had posted an earlier topic about this issue, linking it with the install of my SSD, which I no longer believe to be the case.

I had installed an SSD alongside my HDD. They were both installed fine, running the SSD as my boot drive, and I was about to reformat the HDD so I could use it for data storage. Before reformatting I thought I would just doublecheck everything worked on my SSD, so I powered down, disconnected from power, and and removed the HDD.

No problems on reboot.  Everything worked fine, so I repeated the procedure and reconnected the HDD.

This time, there was no output from my MOBO`s VGA output.  I waited a while thinking that it was perhaps loading, but after a few minutes it became apparent that there was no activity coming from the computer.  I restarted and still no output.

I switched from VGA to DVID, nothing.  Checked monitor, just fine.  Removed the SSD, HDD, both, or neither, and no video output.  Removed RAM, removed fans, everything but the CPU fan, nothing.  Flashed CMOS and removed battery, nothing.

The fans come on when I push the button, but there are no beeps coming from the computer (perhaps no speaker on this MOBO?).

Now I am considering that either the PSU, CPU, or MOBO has fried somehow.  I have a 300 watt power supply and was trying to run a SSD and HDD at the same time when the problem started.  Previously, the SATA cable connected to the SSD was running a DVD-ROM unit.

Should I just give up and take it to a repair technician?  I have no tools to test the PSU, and no conclusive evidence that any of the three suspects are dead.  I am at a loss as to what I can do here.

Here is a list of my components:

ASUS M4A7B5T-M Motherboard

ISO-400 Power Supply

Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB HDD

Intel 530 120GB SSD

2GB Corsair RAM

2GB Kingston RAM

Not sure what the CPU is :-/

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Dylan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:22 PM

I take it doesn't get fixed when you disconnect the HDD right? I take it you have no video card, just on board, right? Do the computer's lights go on? Like the power, and disk read ones. Maybe you accidentally half unplugged the Power connector of the MOBO fans would spin if you did but nothing would work

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:19 PM

I suspect that the computer is trying and failing to boot off your old HDD.

What is the boot order in the bios and how do you have your hard drives connected?

Reconnect memory and SSD and make sure you have the power leads connected tightly on the mainboard.

Reset the cmos.

You should be able to at least get to the Bios POST screens.

Lets make sure your system will show post before you go doing anything too weird.  Did you update the bios at all during your previous successful boots?  If not.. now's a good time to update the Bios.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 27 January 2015 - 10:43 PM.

#4 Blitzkrieger23

Blitzkrieger23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:05 PM

I take it doesn't get fixed when you disconnect the HDD right? I take it you have no video card, just on board, right? Do the computer's lights go on? Like the power, and disk read ones. Maybe you accidentally half unplugged the Power connector of the MOBO fans would spin if you did but nothing would work

I suspect that the computer is trying and failing to boot off your old HDD.

What is the boot order in the bios and how do you have your hard drives connected?

Reconnect memory and SSD and make sure you have the power leads connected tightly on the mainboard.

Reset the cmos.

You should be able to at least get to the Bios POST screens.

Lets make sure your system will show post before you go doing anything too weird.  Did you update the bios at all during your previous successful boots?  If not.. now's a good time to update the Bios.

I have tried it with just the HDD, just the SSD, and both connected.  Tried changing order of SATA ports and switching up power cables.  The power light comes on when I plug power in the board and the hard drive spins up when I press power, along with all fans.  Checked all cables and everything is tight.

I can't get into the BIOS so I'm not sure what the exact boot order is now, but when I last loaded it it would have been boot from SSD first and CDROM second.

I tried resetting the CMOS by tripping the jumper pins and removing the battery, then waiting for ten minutes.  Still no BIOS Post, no MOBO flash screen, nothing. I've followed ASUS instructions on using the boot DVD and trying to flash the BIOS with a USB drive.  Haven't managed to get it to work, since I cannot see anything on the screen.

I've done more research and tried moving one piece of memory around to each of the four DIMM slots.  Nothing on boot.

Thanks for the suggestions guys -- any other ideas?  I'm conflicted with sending the MOBO back, purchasing a new PSU, or just taking it to the shop and hoping for the best.

Edited by Blitzkrieger23, 28 January 2015 - 03:31 PM.

#5 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:35 AM

Have you don the clippy test on the 12V rail of the PSU?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#6 Blitzkrieger23

Blitzkrieger23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:20 PM

So I took it for diagnostics at the local computer shop, and they just called back saying that all signs indicate to the MOBO being fried.  PSU and CPU seem to be fine...  time to go MOBO shopping I guess!

Thanks for the help guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users