Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Inconsistent Wifi speed on desktop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AZ86

AZ86

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:58 PM

Okay, so I'm having a bit of a problem with my desktop's Wifi connection.

My internet speed is very, very inconsistent on this computer.   A lot of the time, it will hover around 2-5 Mbps. Very often, it will be below 1 Mbps. One time, it ran above 20 Mbps (more on that later.)

I though it might be the area the computer was in. But I bought in my laptop and ran some speed tests in the same room, and the laptop regularly ran above 20 Mbps. So I thought something might be wrong with the built-in wireless card in the desktop, so I got a Netgear USB wireless receiver and disabled the wireless card. Still the same issue. 

I thought maybe it was a security issue, that neighbors were stealing my wifi (despite the fact that my laptop always ran fine, and when looking at the router page I could see no one on the network besides myself.) So I enabled physical MAC address filtering on the wireless. For a second, I actually thought that this had fixed the issue - the first few speed tests I ran after enabling MAC address filtering had the download speed running above 20 Mbps. But ten minutes later, the internet speed was back to hovering between 2-5 Mbps, and occasionally dipping below 1. Since I've tried two different methods of connecting wirelessly on the same computer, and my laptop runs in the same area perfectly fine, I figure it must be something wrong with the computer itself. But what could it be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:09 PM

Can you connect via a wired connection to see if wifi is really the issue?

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

#3 AZ86

AZ86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:31 PM

Done, speeds while wired were always above 20Mbps, regularly in the 30-50 range.

#4 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:57 PM

Done, speeds while wired were always above 20Mbps, regularly in the 30-50 range.

What OS are you using? If it is Windows 8 or 8.1 I would suggest trying a live USB or DVD drive Linux OS to see if you have the same issues. If Linux works fine then I would suggest it is a software issue in Windows. If Linux OS does the same thing, then I would suggest it is a hardware issue. I have had issues in windows 8.1 with connection and speed being an issue. One of the reasons I switched to Linux Mint 17.1. 

My wifi speeds

Mgbu9Vr.png

Edited by mralias518, 27 January 2015 - 09:00 PM.

#5 AZ86

AZ86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:48 PM

Is there anything I could do besides switching my OS? On my laptop it wouldn't be as big a deal, but my desktop is used mostly for games and only occasionally for work. I'm sure there are things I could download to resolve compatibility issues for some games, but I'm really unsure how reliable they are. I guess I could always just run it wired, it just seems bizarre to me that the wifi runs so poorly.

#6 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:56 PM

Is there anything I could do besides switching my OS? On my laptop it wouldn't be as big a deal, but my desktop is used mostly for games and only occasionally for work. I'm sure there are things I could download to resolve compatibility issues for some games, but I'm really unsure how reliable they are. I guess I could always just run it wired, it just seems bizarre to me that the wifi runs so poorly.

The live distro of Linux was only to isolate the cause. If the problem persists on Linux then most likely you have a hardware issue. Once it has been determined that it is a software issue, then you can trouble shoot that issue alone. Do you understand what a live (USB or DVD) OS is? It is very easy to load one on a USB drive or burn one to a DVD and boot from that device. This would not be installing a new OS only using the "live" version to trouble shoot your wifi problem. For me it was easier to switch to Linux OS and run Windows 8.1 on another partition when I wanted to play some games. 

Oh btw, All my desktop units run wired, it is more reliable connection than wifi. 

Edited by mralias518, 28 January 2015 - 01:58 PM.

#7 AZ86

AZ86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:45 PM

Oh alright, I see what you mean now.

Yeah, normally I would run my desktop wired, but I'm in an old apartment building, and the nearest connection is a room away, I'd have to run the wires through a hallway and into my room to get to my desktop. Although I'm considering doing just that, or simply moving my desktop to the living room. It just bugs me that the wireless isn't working as it should. I'll try what you recommended when I have the time.  

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:09 PM

What is the make and model of the computer. Did you say your OS was Windows 8

In Device Manager Right click your internal wireless adapter and select properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs. Copy the first line in your next post.

Have you tried changing the channel on the wireless router? There may be an interference issue but this may not help as you say your laptop connects fine.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 January 2015 - 07:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users