Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

happy to report...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:29 PM

a friend bought a computer at a yard sale. It housed XP. I nuked XP in favor of Mint. The computer did not have a wifi card in it so I bought a USB wifi for it. I got it today. I was so worried I was going to need to configure it but it worked immedialtely. 

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:38 PM

Huge :thumbup2: - another Linux convert!

:wizardball: Wiz

Now send him our way and we'll play with him :devil: ...kidding

#3 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:52 PM

Congrats, I'm surprised there aren't more xp computers for sale cheap.  Up here they still want the same as windows 7.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,857 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:20 PM

Congrats, I'm surprised there aren't more xp computers for sale cheap.  Up here they still want the same as windows 7.

I think there are many for sale, also I think some just through them in trash so as not to have any info out there.  They think trashing will prevent this lol, perhaps the trash man will get it?  Also, when some buy new from local outlets they give up their pc to be recycled to the outlet.  Some of them are greenergadgets.org affiliates: http://www.greenergadgets.org/

What do you mean by " Up here they still want the same as windows 7"  You mean they want windows 7? not "the same as"

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:41 PM

I meant the price.  Looking at used computers on craig's list and different papers,  They want $200 or more for the old xp's.  I've converted a couple, and I think Cat has done one, if I remember right.  Wiz just did his wife's, so some are getting converted.

#6 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

WOW! I can go to a local thrift shop and get a vista for 125 (which I think is a bad price).

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:14 PM

I believe Vista is Italian for give us your dough and we'll give you some crap that doesn't work well

:wizardball: Wiz

#8 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:20 PM

the software stunk.  the hardware works well.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:03 PM

heyyou 325....is that Washington state or Canada?

Here in the Tn I see asking price like this all the time. This would be about a 9 year old comp. (rare to pay what's asked)

Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop in Good Condition $50
Pentium 4 2.8GHz , 1GB RAM , 20GB Hard Drive , CD-RW Drive
Fresh Install of Windows XP Professional , Avast Anti-virus

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

Actually, I'm in Idaho, about 70 miles northeast of Spokane Wa, and 60 miles south of Canada.  My wife would kill me if I could pick up a few for $50, I'd never get time to do anything else.  My old desktop works faster with linux on it than a new windows 8 desktop.  I would want a laptop tho, for when I'm doing things somewhere else.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

Well, that explains why your posts have that french fries aroma.... :crazy:

Gateway MA7 Laptop,with power cord - nice condition -80 gb harddrive- 2gb ram- Windows 7- Office 07-Built in Wireless.....$70

I wouldn't personally consider buying a laptop older than 4 years. I saw a lot of steals back a few years when the economy was bad and layoffs were announced every day.

I still see occassionally some really good deals and I live in a rural and small town area.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#12 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

I didn't mean to get the thread off of converting xp to linux.  I've found a couple smaller ones, but I guess I'm a bit particular.  I haven't looked in over a month and have only been looking at the ones 160 gb and bigger.  I need to learn to stay on topic instead of chatting on the help forum.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:29 AM

Great to hear about another Linux user added to the numbers! :thumbup2:

For those who are looking for free computers (no selling allowed), find your local freecycle group, join & see what's there, or post what you're looking for. Many gives away XP computers just to get these out of the house. 

https://www.freecycle.org/

Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop in Good Condition $50

That's not an unusual asking price for that computer around here either, unlike the very mass produced Dimension 2400, these has a better MB, more upgrade options as to CPU, and components are plentiful & low cost on eBay. Not that I'd purchase one at this point, but if in good shape, not totally unreasonable. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users