Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows upgrade to 8.1 Failure

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 characterchange1

characterchange1

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:43 PM

Windows 8 was running very slow with frequent freezes so I decided to upgrade to  8.1. Big mistake. Got all the way to the end of the update installation when suddenly it failed and W8 was re-installed on my laptop  with the same problems. I would be grateful for any help and/or advice that could be given either to sorting out W8 or to a succesful upgrade to W8.1.

Edited by characterchange1, 26 January 2015 - 04:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

Hi characterchange1 :)

So you are new running a fresh Windows 8 installation, am I right? Did you try to upgrade to Windows 8.1 via a wireless (WiFi) connection or a wires (Ethernet) connection? Also, please follow the instructions below. Repeat them until no more Important Updates are found.

rONW46K.pngCheck for Windows Updates
Follow the instructions below to check for available Windows Updates and install them:
  • Click on the Windows Start Menu and select Control Panel;
  • From there, click on System and Security and select Windows Updates;
  • Click on the Check for updates button in the left-pane;
  • Wait for the scan to complete and see which updates are found, Recommended Updates and Recommended Updates (or Optional Updates);
  • Click on X Important Updates (X being the number of updates being found) and make sure that they are all checked;
  • Install every Important Updates found and restart your computer once it's done;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:56 AM

So you are new running a fresh Windows 8 installation, am I right?............Yes 

Did you try to upgrade to Windows 8.1 via a wireless (WiFi) connection or a wires (Ethernet) connection?.............WiFi 

rONW46K.pngCheck for Windows Updates.......................Install every Important Updates found.............Done

...............restart your computer once it's done................Done

Thanks for the very quick reply and for the simple to follow instructions Aura.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:14 AM

No problem :) Is it possible for you to connect with an Ethernet cable (wired connection) and try to upgrade to Windows 8.1? Depending on the network, the upgrade can fail when tried to be installed over the WiFi. It's always better to install a big update via a wired connection.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:30 AM

Don't own an Ethernet cable but am sure one of my friends will oblige.will have to wait until evening to find out.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:35 AM

Alright let me know. If it still fails with a wired connection, we'll try something else.

unite_blue.png

#7 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:14 PM

Have got cable but now can't get laptop to boot. Although I know that the battery is fully charged, I tried the mains cable but am getting absolute zero, not even a flicker on the screen. Cable works ok on other laptop from same power socket. Now reduced to iPad. Where now?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:24 PM

When you press on the power button, there's nothing? It doesn't light up? Remove the battery and disconnect the charger, and keep the power button pressed for 30 seconds. Then put back the battery in and try to boot it up.

unite_blue.png

#9 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:36 PM

When you press on the power button, there's nothing? It doesn't light up? "......... No. Nothing at all.

Remove the battery and disconnect the charger, and keep the power button pressed for 30 seconds. Then put back the battery in and try to boot it up..................Same result!

Tried the power cable again but nil response. Friend bring his battery pack round shortly but can't really see that working. At worst, I may have to go out and buy a new laptop this evening!

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:02 PM

There seems to be a lot of hardware/software problem with that laptop. Is it still under guarantee to return it or not?

unite_blue.png

#11 characterchange1

characterchange1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:08 PM

No such luck, it's 3 years old. No joy with friends battery so have decided to move on and replace the laptop. Thank you so much for trying to help.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

No problem character, sorry that I wasn't able to help you past this problem. If you ever manage to make that laptop boot, you could either sell it (even thought it might fail) or give it to a family member for his personal use :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users