Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

KDE versus Compiz

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:15 PM

Has anyone else here used Compiz, and if so what did you think of it?

I installed Mint 17.1 Xfce on my desktop pc the other day, and Compiz worked ok at first. All I enabled was the rotating cube and wobbly windows, and whatever else I had to enable to get them working - I just followed the prompts.

One day later, and the cube won't rotate any more, possibly because I can no longer enable any more than one workspace. The tops of all windows are missing - the parts that would otherwise have the icons to close, minimise and maximize them, - so I can't even drag windows round the desktop, far less watch them wobble.

compiz_zpslascekfn.png

I wasn't exactly inspired with confidence when selecting Compiz for the first time, as I saw that the default alternative Xfwm was described as "reliable and stable," which seems to imply that Compiz is not. I can't fault Xfwm, but without Compiz I don't see the advantage in using Xfce.

The only fault I've found so far outwith the desktop environments, is if I boot up the computer, and leave it at the log-in screen for long enough for the screen-saver to come on, the only way I can get the log-in screen to display again is to reboot the computer.

Kubuntu 14.04 has worked flawlessly on the same computer ever since I installed it, which was not long after it was first released.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,080 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:21 PM

That happened to me with compiz on KDE also. No idea how to fix it. I used timeshift to restore my system then removed compiz.

Kubuntu has

KWin - KDE UserBase Wiki

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:55 PM

I just reverted to the default Xfwm desktop on Xfce.

kwin seems much the same as Compiz, except that it works!

Edited by Al1000, 26 January 2015 - 05:56 PM.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:40 PM

I love this topic! and I want something to play around with :thumbup2:   Al000, I also had this issue and was able to fix it with some help.  I think I would love to try this kwin you speak of, is it easy to install.  I looked it up kde-window-manager, is that all I need, I love this stuff lol. and have read many saying compiz is trouble, but some say not?

If you are like me you lost the Desktop Settings, so go back to SM and install the mintdesktop package so that you can choose the proper desktop again.  You will also need to re-install compiz by running this in the terminal:   rm -r ~/.config/compiz-1  this will uninstall it and re-install it.  Then in compiz manager make sure that Window Decoration and Place Windows is ticked.  For some of this you have to sign out and back in but I don't know for which, I just played with it for a while.  Mine is still a little wanky and not holding settings.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,080 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 06:01 PM

I think I would love to try this kwin you speak of, is it easy to install.

I think you should stick to compiz on non KDE desktops.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,010 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:30 AM

I think you should stick to compiz on non KDE desktops.

Me too! KDE is an advanced desktop which requires extensive knowledge of the basics, and then some. Not all things will work in KDE the same way as MATE, Cinnamon or Xfce. 

If one is having issues with the MATE desktop, this will worsen if going to KDE. While KDE does have eye candy & lots of it, one must know their way around the MATE or Xfce desktop fairly well. About 2-3 months ago, tried both Kubuntu & Linux Mint 17 KDE, and found myself in for more than I wanted. 

There is no shame in not being able to run all desktops, just do the best one can with one or two simpler ones. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 05:55 AM

If you are like me you lost the Desktop Settings, so go back to SM and install the mintdesktop package so that you can choose the proper desktop again.

What is "SM"?

I uninstalled Compiz after it broke, and have just used Xfwm since - that is, the half dozen or so times that I've booted up with Mint 17.1 Xfce since then. I only installed it to try it out and compare it to Kubuntu, and found that I prefer Kubuntu, so will probably replace Mint with something else before long. I am considering replacing Kubuntu 14.04 with Kubuntu 15.04 when it's released in April, so might use this partition that Mint is on to try out the pre-release version before then.

You will also need to re-install compiz by running this in the terminal: rm -r ~/.config/compiz-1 this will uninstall it and re-install it.

All that command would do is remove the Compiz configuration directory (compiz-1) and its contents - same as opening a GUI file manager, right-clicking on the directory, and selecting "delete" would do.

sudo apt-get remove compiz
... is how I uninstalled Compiz. To reinstall it I would just replace "remove" with "install"

As far as I recall - and I would have to check to be sure - the mintdesktop package was removed automatically when I uninstalled Compiz, and if so, would be automatically installed again if I was to reinstall Compiz.

The easiest way to use kwin is to install Kubuntu, or a KDE version of Mint, or something else that comes with the KDE desktop. I suppose Mint KDE is the KDE version of Mint, like Kubuntu is the KDE version of Ubuntu. But Kubuntu has been around for a lot longer, and since Mint is also based on Ubuntu anyway, Kubuntu would seem to be the logical choice.

Now you've got me wondering what Mint KDE is like. :) I'll maybe try it next on the partition that I currently have Mint Xfce on.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,744 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:34 PM

I understand guys, thanks, all good advice!  Like Al000 I might have to install Mint KDE just to check it out as I don't think these advanced options are available in LiveDVD.  And I don't think all the troubles I am having with Compiz are do to the user...but probably are...for the most part LOL.  I see lots of others having such issues too.  It is not for the noob for sure but I am having decent success with just Wavy Windows and Majic Lamp Wavy.  It could very well be my system but mostly lack of knowledge.  I still have not found a good PDF tutorial on it though.

Al000, SM=Software Manager, my lingo sorry.  Not to be argumentative as you are WAY above me in this type of knowledge, but the command I gave for removing compiz does not JUST remove it, it also re-writes it on next re-boot.  Here is the quote from linuxmint.com as I am sure you are aware of:  CompizConfig is also installed by default so you can configure every aspect of Compiz to your liking.

If things go wrong, remove ~/.config/compiz-1 for Linux Mint to regenerate it automatically.

If you're unable to log in or if compiz does not work at all on your computer, open a terminal and run "mate-wm-recovery" to switch back to Marco on your next login. 

I re-installed compiz and did not get the Desktop Settings back, but that might just be me and other issues I am having.  Okay I'm done rambling but hoped that little quote helps someone that has missed it, as it is an easy way to reinstall compiz and be on your way.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:12 PM

but the command I gave for removing compiz does not JUST remove it, it also re-writes it on next re-boot.

If things go wrong, remove ~/.config/compiz-1 for Linux Mint to regenerate it automatically.

If you look closely at the above, it says that the command removes (/deletes) the directory, and that Mint regenerates it automatically.

rm -r ~/.config/compiz-1
"rm" means "remove." "-r" is the "recursive" option which is used when deleting a directory using the rm command, so that the directory and all of its contents are deleted.

"~/.config/compiz-1" is simply the path to the directory that the command deletes. So deleting the compiz-1 directory and its contents, is all that the command does.

I re-installed compiz and did not get the Desktop Settings back

The desktop settings will be saved in the compiz-1 directory. If you deleted it by running that command, then the desktop settings would have returned to default, when the new compiz-1 directory was created when you rebooted.

Edited by Al1000, 09 February 2015 - 03:14 PM.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,744 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:23 PM

Ok, well said.  What I meant to say was, the "Desktop Settings" gui was gone.  But again I was having other OS issues that could have been the issue.  Thanks Al000 because I love those descriptions of exactly how those commands work!

Edited by pcpunk, 09 February 2015 - 03:24 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

Ok, well said. What I meant to say was, the "Desktop Settings" gui was gone.

You mean when you went to adjust the settings for Compiz, the GUI interface wasn't there?

If so, did you check that a new compiz-1 directory was generated in your ~/.config directory?

PS: You will have to click "show hidden files" to see the .config directory in your home directory using a GUI file manager, or use the -a option with the ls command i.e. ls -a (that's a lower case L) to see it in the terminal.

"~" in the path, refers to your home directory.

As a side note, I checked my installation of Mint 17.1 XFCE and the compiz-1 directory is still there, so obviously wasn't removed when I uninstalled Compiz.

Edited by Al1000, 09 February 2015 - 07:31 PM.

#12 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:38 PM

deleted - double post

Edited by Al1000, 09 February 2015 - 07:32 PM.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,744 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:09 PM

Don't know what this means but okay: &nbsp

I love the effects! so I am in Mint KDE and am condsidering installing it along side of Mate.  One thing right off though, is, I  don't see the Connections Information for wireless connection info.  I like to look at how strong my connections  are while surfing.  Can you guys tell me if this is available on this  distro?  I  won't let this suade me from installing this especially if I can get these cool effects!  Love it!  It is also super fast.  One thing I am experiencing is double spacing and typing while typing this post.  I will get Mate setup first and see what you guys have to say about me running this OS in the meantime.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:37 PM

Don't know what this means but okay: &nbsp

Sorry, ignore that, that's something the forum software does when I use NoScript to block it. I inadvertently quoted my previous post when I meant to edit it. (I typed the wrong name for the file so went to correct it)

For wireless info including signal strength, type

iwconfig

...in a terminal

Alternatively, if you want something displayed in a panel, right-click on the panel, select "Panel Options" then "Add Widgets." You will probably find something in there.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,744 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:22 PM

Ok, well said. What I meant to say was, the "Desktop Settings" gui was gone.

You mean when you went to adjust the settings for Compiz, the GUI interface wasn't there?

If so, did you check that a new compiz-1 directory was generated in your ~/.config directory?

PS: You will have to click "show hidden files" to see the .config directory in your home directory using a GUI file manager, or use the -a option with the ls command i.e. ls -a (that's a lower case L) to see it in the terminal.

"~" in the path, refers to your home directory.

As a side note, I checked my installation of Mint 17.1 XFCE and the compiz-1 directory is still there, so obviously wasn't removed when I uninstalled Compiz.

No, the Destop Setting gui, the one that you change from Macro to Compiz with.

No but I will try this because I want to learn some of this stuff.  But, it fixed Compiz so I am guessing that it regenerated the files.

Told ya so, LOL-just kidding.  Wow, I guess one would have to do something even further to remove compiz totally as it is installed by default.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users