Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee System Security won't install or run

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dean1390

Dean1390

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:30 PM

OK - I resolved a previous issue with a clean reinstall and recovered most of data.  Everything is up and running EXCEPT:  I am not able to install or run McAfee System security....  I was able to do the initial download when I first restored my system but when I click on the icon, nothing happens.  When I try to download from the McAfee site it tells me that it can't install.  This seems to be the only thing not working.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ami94

ami94

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:38 PM

has it come up with any funny error? what does it say? was it previously installed on that machine?

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:41 PM

OK - I resolved a previous issue with a clean reinstall and recovered most of data.  Everything is up and running EXCEPT:  I am not able to install or run McAfee System security....  I was able to do the initial download when I first restored my system but when I click on the icon, nothing happens.  When I try to download from the McAfee site it tells me that it can't install.  This seems to be the only thing not working.

Is your initial download from the official McAfee download page?

#4 Dean1390

Dean1390
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:53 PM

Yes - initial download directly from McAfee

No funny errors - just a little circle then nothing.  It was on the machine previously

#5 ami94

ami94

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:56 PM

well try to run MCPR FROM MCAFEE

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fservice.mcafee.com%2FFAQDocument.aspx%3Fid%3DTS101331&ei=q5vGVMafNpH2av3bgogJ&usg=AFQjCNF_0bc-oDrGP2oA1ohVHYsyub4wgg&bvm=bv.84349003,d.d2s

then try to re install it

#6 Dean1390

Dean1390
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:29 PM

OK that worked.  Possible something goofy with the previous install that MCPR removed?

Seems to be running now and I'm able to open it!

#7 ami94

ami94

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:43 PM

yeah! exactly what it was... MCPR is desing to removed any trace of a previous version of Mcaffe, is quite a common issue with this security suite is well known for left "stuff" in the system even after it's unistalled.

By the way glad to have helped you sort this out! :)

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,584 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:49 PM

Possible something goofy with the previous install that MCPR removed?

Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel due to the presence of related services and processes running in the background.

Most anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities or removal tools on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after uninstalling, or for a failed uninstall or failed reinstall. It's always best to download directly from the vendor's site to ensure you are using the most current version of the uninstall utility as it is not uncommon for third-party hosting sites to have outdated versions which may not work properly.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users