Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clarification re: different Max RAM specs supported. HP vs INTEL

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ThreePeakSolutions

ThreePeakSolutions

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:13 PM

Hi, so i'm new here, but not a newb.  I know that "officially", the max RAM supported is what is listed by the pc manufacturer.  Having said that, it's not uncommon to come accross people who claim to have exceeded the "official limit", claiming full support even when it was supposedly impossible.  So here's my question.  I have an HP ENVY 17-j034ca.  It's a laptop with a core i5-3230m processor rated at 2.6 ghz (although I found that confusing as HP and OS tools report the i5 "speed" as 2.60ghz... But the intel product page for the search i5-3230m, returns only two processor results which are identical to the specs I am seeing reported on the pc.... Except the speed is clearly marked as 3.20 ghz!!)  A little digging may have provided the answer for that discrepancy.  Something about 3.2ghz being the MAXOUT "turbo" boost speed achievable on the unit.  But I was under the impression that the processor speed being reported by HP and 3rd party tools WAS the max speed and listed at the 2.60 Ghz cap.  Am I just dealing with two different companies with two different advertising/promotional marketing methods?  I can't find it now of course, but I swear I saw something from the hp side stating the 2.60ghz was the max processor speed.  The intel page for i5-3230m ONLY lists the speed 3.2ghz beside the 3230m.  There is no alternate option or model listed at 2.6ghz..at least not with that particular model #.  It may sound nitpicky, but the reason I need to know is because I was wondering if the processor was being throttled or altered by HP for some reason or the other.  Directing part of it's power to some kind of overhead ?  to reduce power consumption/heat?  who knows.,  Any forum pros bored by reposting the same links to the same scans and software want to take a crack at clarifying this?

Back to the original question:  hp and various tools report this laptop as being able to support a max of 16gb of ram split over 2 sticks/slots.  ddr3, pc3-12800.  It came stock with 12gb of ram in an awkward configuration i've never seen from stock pc's.  an 8gb and a 4gb stick, different manufacturers ( Thanks for the matched pairs you DICKS :) )  Ok, so back to the Intel product listing site.... http://ark.intel.com/products/72164/Intel-Core-i5-3230M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz-rPGA

Max supported memory: 32 GB (depending on memory type)

So.... What's the deal?  Processor support is obviously a core factor in RAM amount supported... But why is HP and crucial reporting HALF that amount as the absolute cap?  

Any input is appreciated...except if your just going to write: "search google".. Save your trolling for someone else :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:53 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users