Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted display driver - black screen

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Louiz

Louiz

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:59 PM

Hi:  I would be so grateful if someone could help me please:

I have an Asus X550C, running Windows 8.1.  I  had been having problems with the display flickering - going very dark and then flashing brighter, accompanied by a high pitched "hissing" sound (sound wasn't very loud). 

I clicked on Display in Control Panel and it said the driver was up to date and working properly.  However, someone (mis-)advised me to delete the driver and then reinstall, as this might stop it from doing this.    Deleting driver box came up on screen but a minute later the computer froze.  I tried to cancel and had no choice but to turn off at the power switch. 

On turning back on, the screen briefly flashes the usual Asus text, which appears before it starts windows but after that the screen is completely blank (but the "hissing" sound is still present).  If I press on the keys and move my finger on the track pad a white arrow briefly appears on screen then goes back to black.  I have tried plugging an external monitor in and this displays the same as the laptop screen. 

I have tried starting the laptop using a Windows 8 repair disk (nothing happens) and using a Macrium Reflect Recovery Disc (nothing happens.  I have downloaded a new video driver from Asus onto a usb memory stick but cannot install it.

Please can you advise if there is anything I can do? 

Many thanks,

Lou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ami94

ami94

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:13 PM

it sounds more like a HW problem rather than a SW... it might be that the component (inverter) that calibarte the blacklight of your sceen is almost failed...

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

You posted that this is Windows 8.1, but then post that you tried using a Windows 8 repair disc.  Was this disc created on the computer you are posting about?

I don't suppose that you have all of your important data saved on removable media?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Louiz

Louiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:45 PM

Thank you so much for replying. 

I am sorry but I am not very "tech savvy", so apologise for all the questions - is the inverter replaceable?  Would this not working properly make the monitor I plugged into the laptop not display anything either?  Would installing a new video graphic card fix this?

Many thanks,

Lou

#5 ami94

ami94

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

the inverter is replaceable, installing a nwe graphics card won't resolve the issue it will be like trying to display something on a dodgy display, if want to "run" a test to see if is the inverter is gone you can plug the videocard exit to an external monitor and see if that work also if is a laptop make sure you can switch the display trought the FN keys.

#6 Louiz

Louiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

Hi Arachibutyrophobia - thank you for your reply ,

Sorry, the laptop was initially installed with Windows 8.  It recently upgraded itself to 8.1 (without my permission).  The repair disk was created in September 2014 on this machine, which was then running Windows 8.  Is this why it won't work?

I don't have many programmes/data on this laptop.   I have an external drive for things that are important.

Kind regards,

Louise

#7 Louiz

Louiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:57 PM

Hi Ami94
I'm sorry, I'm not sure where the videocard exit is?

Kind regards,
Lou

#8 Louiz

Louiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:02 PM

So sorry dc3, I got your name wrong. I was looking at the word under your name - I am new here and didn't scroll up a bit from the post.

Kind regards,
Lou

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:04 PM

No problems Lou.

First of all, if the inverter or backlight were bad you should still be able to see the desktop with an external monitor.  One exception I could see would be if there is a function key that needs to be used to switch between the display and the external monitor.  Look in your user manual and see what it has on switching between the display and monitor.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Louiz

Louiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:24 PM

Hi dc3, thanks for replying.

The user manual does not mention this. There was an electronic manual also (which I can't access on my laptop), so I have searched online. There is the option of function + f7 = turns the display off. Also there is function + f9 = activates the second screen.

Kind regards,
Lou

#11 Louiz

Louiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:34 PM

I have tried both options, with no luck.  Function + F7 does turn the laptop screen off but nothing displays on monitor screen (apart from the white arrow when I move a finger over the trackpad but this also does it on the laptop screen when it is on.  When I press Function + F8 the cursor moves over the laptop screen, then when it gets to the edge of the screen it moves over to the monitor screen and vice versa.  Both screens still black.

Kind regards,

Lou

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:43 PM

Have you tried to do the fn + f9 or f8?

Press the fn key, then press either of these keys.  I found the online manual, but the font size is so small I can't read it even with a 22" monitor.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,815 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:44 PM

I hadn't seen your last post, you have to use the fn key in conjunction of the f8 or f9 key.

#14 Louiz

Louiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:04 PM

Hi dc3,

Yes, I used them both in conjunction with the function key.  The display won't turn on for either the laptop or the monitor now.  The laptop doesn't respond and the monitor says no signal.  It still does this when I turn on and off.

I don't think there's any other option but to buy another laptop, is there?  It's so annoying, as this one is not long out of guarantee.

Thank you so much for all your help, it is very much appreciated.  Thank you also to ami94

Kind regards,

Lou

#15 ami94

ami94

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

my pleasure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users