Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible HDD Fail/Screen Lockup

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rumancek

rumancek

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:30 PM

I haven't had to ask for computer help in a few years (I'm considerably good at fixing things myself) but I'm getting some weird things that are pointing towards either an impending hard drive failure, or something like it.

Symptoms:

• noticed (while playing WoW) that the screen would freeze up as if 'not responding', go black then suddenly work again (this happens every few hours to every few minutes depending)
  • Google Chrome would lock up and freeze exactly as WoW would but I would have to crash it via Task Manager
  • sluggishness on the HDD (I really only use the PC for gaming) when gaming (thus far, Saints Row 3, Skyrim, D3 and such aren't giving me issues, but I haven't played them long enough to test)

Some of the things I've tried so far (original post on the WoW forums I had made: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15700057338 ):

• re-installed the game
  • removed WTF/Cache/Interface folders (game folders)
  • defragged the HDD it is on, as well as my main HDD (both defrag once a week)
  • run my AV and Malwarebytes (as well as Ccleaner) like always
  • tried playing without addons
  • updated my graphics drivers, Windows Update as well 

At first I thought it was my game, then I started noticing issues with Chrome etc like I said above.

Specs:

• Operating System
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
  • Antivirus Software
    Microsoft Security Essentials
  •  
  • Computer
    Custom
  • CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1035T
  • Motherboard
    Asus M2N68-AM SE2
  • Ram
    4GB DDR2
  • Storage
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA
  • Video Card
    Radeon HD 5670

Here's a screenshot of my temps: http://i.imgur.com/aReeYgf.png

I have a Dxdiag uploaded to the post. Let me know if you need more info. Thank you!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:48 PM

If you are suspecting that your HDD is failing, you can use SeaTools for Windows to test your HDD.

#3 rumancek

rumancek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:50 PM

If you are suspecting that your HDD is failing, you can use SeaTools for Windows to test your HDD.

I ran it twice - first time on the short pass it failed, second time it passed.

#4 ami94

ami94

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:57 PM

Hi,if you want to know if you want to know if your HD  has any i recomend to use the Hirens bootCD, once you burn the iso boot from the cd at the startup and follow these step:

DOS programs,Hard disk Tools,HDAT 2.5XX it will ask you some configuration once it has finished it will show all the peripherelas attached to your device and the SMART status (OK,Warining,FAIl) in case of warning consider the HD as failed because it means that some of the sector on your HD are corrupted and need the HD is close to Fail.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

#5 ami94

ami94

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:00 PM

http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

you can use as well this tool.

#6 rumancek

rumancek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:00 PM

Hi,if you want to know if you want to know if your HD  has any i recomend to use the Hirens bootCD, once you burn the iso boot from the cd at the startup and follow these step:

DOS programs,Hard disk Tools,HDAT 2.5XX it will ask you some configuration once it has finished it will show all the peripherelas attached to your device and the SMART status (OK,Warining,FAIl) in case of warning consider the HD as failed because it means that some of the sector on your HD are corrupted and need the HD is close to Fail.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Aye, SMART status did fail upon boot, but that isn't always a good indicator (esp if it's a failed SATA cable not the drive itself). I also can't make any bootable CD's (don't have any, no money to go buy one atm). Not to be rude either, but I'm not going to trust software links from a new account with just one post >.>

#7 ami94

ami94

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:06 PM

no worries i completly understand but i just get started here in this forum and to be honest you can choos eor not but i'm IT techinichan currently working in London that every day has do deal with things like that.

By the way if your smart test on BIOS fail that might really means that your HD is almost gone...

you can make even a bootable USB pen.

#8 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:06 PM

Hiren's is an awesome tool that I use all the time in my repair shop, and if you have a spare flash drive you can use that instead of a CD. If you have any spare HDDs then you could also use of them to see if you still get the issues while using it. And usually, when I see SMART failures it means the drive is on it's last leg, far more common than a bad cable/port.

Edited by Aerys, 26 January 2015 - 02:07 PM.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

Do you have the Long Generic Test in SeaTools for Windows? It's the best test to run if you suspected a failing HDD.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:16 PM

@Alexstrasza

Seatools for Windows has the capability to run either the short or long test.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:23 PM

Please download and run SeatTool for Windows.

When the website opens scroll down till you find the I Accept button and click on it.

If you scroll down below this button you will find instruction for installing this.

Once you install this program you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for hdds on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB port.

2.  Detected Drives will list the hdd/s found.  Place a check mark in the drive you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 rumancek

rumancek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:10 AM

So far I haven't even been able to get Speccy to publish a snapshot (process stops responding). Seatools won't even run at this point, and I couldn't even boot up earlier without boot errors, so I'm guessing the drive is toast?

(Posting this from my Macbook - will probably try to salvage files later once I get a connector cord to read onto my drive)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users