Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thoughts on proposed network setup...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mjl1297

mjl1297

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:26 PM

I'm not having any issues with my network but I thought I would post this and see what feedback I got from the forum on it.

I've finally decided to drop some ethernet ports in a couple of rooms in my house in order to have wired access there. Currently the cable feeds into my office where the modem/router is located. I'm using an Motorola SBG 6580 which has four gigabit ports on the back of it. I'm going to plug a cable into one of those ports and then plug the other end into a Microtik 5 port switch. Three cables will come out of that switch leading to one existing port in the sitting room, the other will run to my den where it will feed another Microtik 5 port switch which I will connect my Roku and X3D media player to, and the third will run to my library where it will connect to an Amped Wireless AP300 out of which another cable will feed my laptop in addition to broadcasting a wireless network.

Anyone see anything wrong with that plan? Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome before I start the project.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:54 PM

Sounds fine, make sure you use Cat5e or Cat6 cable and it's the right kind to go in walls.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:42 PM

Yes I will be using Cat6 cable. Cat6 direct burial cable to be precise although I won't be burying it just stringing it along the bottom of my house through the crawlspace.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:05 PM

Why are you running everything off of the switch connected to the router, than the router directly?

You don't mention the speed of the Microtik switches.

#5 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:08 PM

All of the other ports on the router are taken.

The switches are gigabit switches.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

If it were me and I owned the house I would run multiple lines to each room, each with its own outlet.  They would all come back to a patch panel from which you would connect one switch with enough ports for all the wired connections.  You would run one cable from switch to router and you are set for the entire house.

Multiple outlets<>patch panel<>patch cables to switch<>switch<>patch cable to router<>router<>internet

#7 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

I thought about that but how much different is it really from what I am already doing? What advantage would there be to eliminating one of the switches? I'm keeping the the one access point since it broadcasts a wireless network that I would like to have on that end of the house.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:15 PM

I'd move two of the current router connections to the near Microtik and run both the AP and Microtiks off the router.  Not a huge difference if you don't.

#9 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:31 PM

There's a thought!

Edited by mjl1297, 26 January 2015 - 10:31 PM.

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:22 AM

It really depends on what you want to accomplish.

Think of wiring like pipes.  In your example everything will flow through the Microtik, except the equipment currently connected to the router.  This will provide better LAN flow between those devices while they all share the same connection to the router, so their Internet connection, as a whole, will be the same as the equipment directly connected to the router.  This would be good if you were doing a lot of file sharing between them, such as streaming movies from one of the devices on the network.

The design I suggested makes the Internet connection the more important data source.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users