Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slave Drive Showing As A Raw File

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:39 PM

Hello, I have an emachine T2085 and the motherboard went bad. It has Windows XP Home. The board is an ECS LV7MM2 motherboard which is no longer manufactured. So, I bought a Biostar M7VIG4 to replace it. I had read somewhere that if you have the same chipset, it may fool the Windows xp into thinking it had the same board and I would not have to Activate it. Well, it didn't work for me. The system boots up to the Log in of profiles, but as soon as I log in I get the Activate screen. I have talked to Microsoft, eMachine, Gateway and they cannot assist me without the same motherboard.

The information on the drive is kind of important and I would like to save it. So I put the hard drive in my system that has Windows XP Pro as the master drive and made the emachine windows xp home as the slave drive. The bios recognizes the drive, it shows in the device manager, but when I click on the properties, the file system shows RAW and I cannot see any data on the drive.

I checked the slave jumper settings and they looked fine. The drive boots fine in the emachine, so I don't think it has a problem. I am not familiar with the RAW file error and was hoping someone can help me so I can retrieve my information. Then I am going to install a new copy of Windows xp home on the drive and put it back into the emachine.

Thank you for any help you can give ! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:31 PM

Firstly, go to the Administrative tools in the Control Panel, and select Computer Management. In the left window, go down to Storage>Disk Management. In the right hand side, you should be able to see your Hard Disks. Right click on the faulty one and see if it gives you the option to "Import Foreign Disks". This may work.

The other thing however, is that you replaced you old MB with a different model. Not only do you require reactivating windows, but you really need to install the INF (or Chipset) Drivers to ensure the hardware components of your new MB will work properly (in this case, maybe your HDD). Your MB should have come with an install disk on which the INF drivers will be located (that's if you haven't already installed it). If you don't have the CD, then you will need to download the latest ones from the internet.

See if you can find your MB model here, then download the appropriate drivers for it...
http://www1.biostar.com.tw/support/driver/...hipset%20Driver

Hope that helps!
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:47 PM

Thank you JPHarvey, I did get the drivers with the mb, but never was able to use it on the emachine because it wouldn't let me log in.
As for using it as a slave drive on my XP pro computer I will try the Import Foreign Disk and see if it works. I have taken it out of this computer, so I will try it tomorrow.

My biggest concern is just getting the information off the drive and then I can reformat and put the retail version of Windows xp on with the new motherboard and drivers.

I have been given information that maybe since I have an unused Windows xp cd and key that I can call microsoft with the new key and they will activate the original windows with all the information on it. I hope this is the case, it would be a tremendous relief. If not I will try the Import option and see if that will work.

I will reply back with my results. Thank you for your time ! It is greatly appreciated !

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:08 PM

I was able to use the new Windows xp cd with a new key and do a Repair Install over the OEM installation and everything worked great. All of the information was left on the hard drive.
Thank you for you time and help !! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users