Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is a new UPS (Uninterupted Power Supply) supposed to have a "fresh" odor?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 yamas11

yamas11

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:32 PM

I have a Cyberpower UPS that I've been using fine for a week. But it sometimes emits a "fresh" odor. I say "fresh" because I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, but it sort of smells sort of plastic like, but not a burnt smell.

The UPS itself is very cool, not hot at all. It had this "fresh" smell when I first took it out of the box, even before plugging it in.

What is this odor?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

I would not worry about it if the UPS is operating normally. It could be some compounds used in the plastic. You can contact Cyberpower Customer Service. They could probably give you a better answer.

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/contact-us/overview.html

#3 yamas11

yamas11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

I've been trying to contact them but no response or they put me on hold forever.

So I'm trying to find help on if anyone has ever experienced some kind of odor with their brand new UPS. Thanks for your help.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,709 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:14 PM

I have two APC UPS's and have not noticed any smell that you describe.  If you cannot contact CyberPower by phone, have you tried using their E-mail contact form?  The person at this review site said his smelled of ozone out of the box and after 8 months he still smelled it. I think it is something other than ozone as you smelled it before plugging in. Maybe something CyberPower uses in the manufacturing process.

http://forums.ncixus.com/products/?mode=productreviewread&product_id=42010

#5 yamas11

yamas11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:23 PM

Thanks, I'll try that.

The smell doesn't irritate me or anything, but I'm just curious on if its a threat or potential warning for some hazard.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,709 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:47 PM

If you do not get a response using the contact form, there is a link on that page to send you to a Online Support Form. Use that and express your concern of the smell. Maybe Technical Support has run across this before.

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

That smell you are talking about is normal - it is a residual odor put off by plastics when they heat up - it should go away within a week or two-

#8 yamas11

yamas11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:46 PM

That smell you are talking about is normal - it is a residual odor put off by plastics when they heat up - it should go away within a week or two-

You sound confident about this. I guess I'll give it another week and see how it goes.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

Just like a new car, or a huge flat panel unit when you first power them up..  The technical term is "off-gassing".  As all plastics are petroleum based, they are in a constant state of increasing degradation.  They will smell, trapped inside a car it can burn your eyes and make you choke but in your home, no worries, mate.

#10 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:14 PM

Just like a new car, or a huge flat panel unit when you first power them up..  The technical term is "off-gassing".  As all plastics are petroleum based, they are in a constant state of increasing degradation.  They will smell, trapped inside a car it can burn your eyes and make you choke but in your home, no worries, mate.

off-gassing-- I didn't know there was a term for it- you learn something new every day,don't you!!

#11 alantheeditor

alantheeditor

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:09 PM

My Cyberpower also smells... I've only had it a week or so now.....it smells like "electronics" ...maybe ozone... but thanks for the posts above... i will continue to monitor it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users