Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router only working through 'test socket'

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 BrokenVirus919

BrokenVirus919

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:31 AM

Hey BleepingComputer,

So our internet decided to stop working 2 days ago... we could technically connect to the router but when trying to access websites it came up with "[broadband name], Your DSL is down"

Weirdly the same exact error happens when you unplug the router from the phone line, but the wire defiantly works because when i plug it from the router into the house phone, the house phone works properly....

So we rang the broadband company up and they confirmed there was a problem, and we should open up the socket box, and inside there is a test socket, and to connect the router into the test socket for a few hours and ring them back.

(When we went to ring them back 2 hours later the call center is shut)

Now the strange part is, when I opened the box up there was no test socket, it was a completely empty box... I asked my mum about it and she said there is a socket box upstairs that is just blank with no entry for a socket, I go up and open it and there is a socket inside, which I presume is the test socket?

I plug it in and the router still didn't work for about 6-7 hours I believe, I connect to the Gateway by typing the IP into a browser and it no longer said "The DSL is down" and "Internet: Disconnected (CONNECT), I click CONNECT and the internet is working fine!

I then unplug it and take it downstairs to the master(?) socket and it didn't work, I tried going onto the gateway to connect and it said "your DSL is down". I take it back upstairs and it works again perfectly. 

So 2 questions:

1) Is it okay to leave it plugged in upstairs as long as its working, even if its plugged into a "test socket"?

2) Is it possible that the socket upstairs is the main socket?

Thank you for reading and I appreciate any feedback :)

EDIT: Bolded parts to make it easier to skim read, also:

Turns out the socket downstairs doesn't work, I just plugged the phone in and the phone isnt working. I presume the wiring going into the socket has come loose.

Edited by BrokenVirus919, 26 January 2015 - 10:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users