Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TWC Pop Up Hoax w/ 1-800 #

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Raellen

Raellen

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:17 AM

Hello,

My friend was surfing the internet last night for "coupons", yes, coupons, and after clicking on few links, she received a pop up message that appeared to be from her ISP, Time Warner Cable. The message stated something to the effect that she was now infected with a virus and for her to call TWC at the 800 number provided. Unfortunately she called the 800 number to seek help, and then dug herself a deep grave and allowed the man on the other end of the phone to remote into her computer! My heart just breaks for her. She said that she stayed on the phone with him for about 15 minutes, he told her he was removing the virus from the machine. She at that point realized she may have made a horrible decision and told the man she was going to hang up and get a friend to help her clean the virus off and the mans reply was, "Is your friend MS Certified?", she told him yes, although I am not by no means! He then tried to persuade her to stay on the phone with him as it would only take a little longer and he would be done. She told him no thank you. When she got off the phone she immediately killed the internet connection by unplugging her Ethernet cord, and shut down the computer. After she shared all this with me this morning, I advised her to call TWC and inquire about the pop up and the 800 number it provided. Just as I had feared for her, it was not legit. I am not sure what the man did in those 15 minutes he had access to her computer, can only imagine. I am going to ride over to her home when we get off work and take a look at the computer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am a TECH 1 in a public school, do not work on computers that much outside of the school environment, if it was a school computer I would image it in heartbeat. I have hand cleaned a many a virus using instructions from this site and others, and Combofix is a common tool in my method of madness, but would still appreciate any good advice for her situation. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Raellen

Raellen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:25 PM

Well, it is getting late in the day here and I have not gotten any advice. I know this is a busy forum and understand. I told my girlfriend we are just going to wipe her partitions and re-install Windows 8 to start over 100% fresh! It's the only thing I fell comfortable doing at this point. I have no clue what happened to her pc last night when this guy remoted in, this is the only way I can ensure he stays gone! She called her bank, etc, and is safe there, so on we move, and a lesson has been learned. Thanks, if any one still wants to offer some tips, I am always up to learning for future knowledge. 

#3 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:36 PM

These malicious websites are just scams. Also be aware of E-mails or phone calls offering computer "help".  Luckly she hung up before he presented the "bill" for removing the so called "malware". 15 min. is along time to be strolling through a computer. He could have gotten anything really including personal information.

Some links for computer scams in general:

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0346-tech-support-scams

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2488978/cybercrime-hacking/aggressive--persistent-windows-tech-support-scammers-continue-to-stalk-consumers.html

https://www.microsoft.com/en-GB/security/online-privacy/phishing-scams.aspx

https://blog.malwarebytes.org/tech-support-scams/

Attached Files

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users