Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Dictionary Extension

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Ali_11

Ali_11

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:55 AM

I have installed Dictionary.com's extension in my firefox browser. It was working fine but now it isnt poping up when I select a word for its meaning. pls tell me how to fix it?

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2015 - 02:06 PM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:16 AM

You have left a "vague idea" of a program that may be one of the dictionaries linked below. They have full FAQ and help pages on them that may help you.

I am not sure if this is the correct program, but I looked for Dictionary.com, and this is what I found .........

>> www.dictionary.com/ <<

>> Main Contact Page ?? <<<

NOTE - You are installing it on XP, which is now a non-supported (by Microsoft) program

Edited by noknojon, 26 January 2015 - 06:19 AM.

#3 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:33 AM

I just installed and tried it in Firefox version 35.0 with Windows XP Pro. Working just fine. In mine, I do not highlight a word first. Simply point and double-click the word for the pop-up to appear. Do you have the latest version of the add-on, and Firefox?

1pJVDSY.png

Edited by Phantom010, 26 January 2015 - 10:11 AM.

Please stick around after posting. Helpers are never far. Don't disappear for a week!
Our help is free, so please have the courtesy to reply in a timely manner. Thank you!

#4 Ali_11

Ali_11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:23 AM

I m using Firefox 35.0.1 and Dictionary addon version 3.0.12.1 but still the pop-up isnt appearing. Is there any way to fix it?I have tried re-installing the Dictionay addon.

#5 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:52 AM

There could be another extension interfering with Dictionary. Try disabling a few.

Please stick around after posting. Helpers are never far. Don't disappear for a week!
Our help is free, so please have the courtesy to reply in a timely manner. Thank you!

#6 Ali_11

Ali_11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:06 AM

I have tried disabling other addons but still aint working. Any particular addon to disable tht might be interferring?

#7 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:14 AM

Please type about:support in the Firefox address bar.

Press Enter.

Click Copy text to clipboard.

Paste the entire content into Notepad and attach it to your next reply.

#8 Ali_11

Ali_11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:22 AM

I have given firefox a tune up through 'Refresh Firefox' button and the now the Dictionary add-on is working. Any advice to avoid this problem in future ?

#9 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:25 AM

What "refresh" are you referring to? A Firefox "Reset" or a "page refresh" 5kphI6T.png ?

#10 Ali_11

Ali_11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:27 AM

I mean Firefox "Reset"

#11 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:30 AM

Well it did remove the other extensions you had.

#12 Ali_11

Ali_11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:35 AM

Yeah ! I was trying to avoid this problem ( to loose my extensions ) thats why I posted the problem here but I also tried the firefox 'reset'/refresh button and it solved the problem.

#13 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:38 AM

The reset is always a little drastic, as there are other troubleshooting steps you can take, like disabling other add-ons. I guess you can start reinstalling the add-ons you need. If you encounter the problem again, try isolating the faulty extension.

#14 Ali_11

Ali_11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:41 AM

Ok, Thanx

#15 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:42 AM

You're welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users