Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System protection maximum disk usage changing itself to 50%

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Miotkem

Miotkem

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:29 AM

Hi,

A few weeks back, my C: drive started mysteriously filling up to the point where it was running out of space completely.

I would run CCleaner, organize things, clean out my downloads folder, and in some cases even delete some of the games I hadn't played in a while to make more room. A couple days would go by and it would be filling up again!

I finally figured out that my System Protection maximum disk usage was set to 50%, and Windows 7 was graciously creating many restore points every time I made any sort of change to my system (removing a game, for instance or installing a new one) and it was filling up my hard drive quickly.

I don't know how this got set to 50%, I certainly didn't do it as I didn't even know this existed. It is supposed to be 10% by default.

I changed it to 10% and deleted the old restore points. Things were back to normal for about a week, and then I noticed it was filling up again.

I just not checked it, and it was set back to 50% again! I changed it back down to 5% and again deleted the old restore points.

I have run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and I have run a full scan using Avast! Free, and I have run a full scan using Spybot Search & Destroy, and none of these have caught the culprit. Could anyone help diagnose why my system protection settings keep getting changed to 50% maximum disk space being available for system restore points? I would like to set this to 5% or 10% and have it stay there on its own...

EDIT: I fixed a grammatical error.

Edited by hamluis, 06 February 2015 - 12:50 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:18 PM

The easiest (and best) solution is to completely disable system restore and begin using disc imaging software on a regular basis instead. It's more reliable, all encompassing, and infinitely better protection.

#3 Miotkem

Miotkem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:21 PM

I cleaned up all of the backups, so the usage was down to 0, and then I set the maximum to 5% using the slider.

I check it every day and it is still at 5%, but the usage hasn't reached the 5% capacity yet, so I can't verify if that's what's actually happening in my case or not.

Although Allan's advice may be sound advice, it's just choosing to ignore the problem I'm having rather than addressing it. My concern is not necessarily the disk usage itself... my concern is that there is some other software/program/malware/bug/whatever-you-want-to-call-it that is causing my computer to do unpredictable things.

#4 DavidOfMA

DavidOfMA

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:58 PM

Did you ever solve this problem? It's been happening to me, too, for the past few weeks, which makes me wonder if a Microsoft update is the culprit.

Thanks,

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users