Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted My Hp Recovery Drive Partition

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 TranNova

TranNova

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:43 PM

I recently deleted my recovery partition that is included with HP pcs. I'm now left with 5gb of unused harddrive space, which isn't formatted (I think). I used it to store some random files but didn't like how it worked, and it's now empty again.

My question is, will it pose a security threat, and is there anyway I can combine that partition with my main one?

Here's a screenshot of it:

http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/8308/driveview7ta.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:12 PM

An spare partition is in now way any kind of threat. Since you working partition is 106GB then adding another 5GB won't add that much capacity percentage-wise. You would be much better off resizing the partitions so that the OS partition, volume C:, is 20GB in size and the rest of the drive is devoted to a partition used just for storing data files. This way when (not if) you need to reinstall the OS your data files in the other partition will be unaffected and waiting for you there.

I can reccommend Partition Magic as a great tool for creating and resizing partition in Windows without losing any data.

You will need to beg, borrow, buy or steal an XP installation CD in order to reinstall the OS when (not if) the time comes.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:52 PM

If you cannot come across a copy of Partition Magic I use and recommend Digital Dolly. It is a full featured drive utility similar to Partition Magic. It is freeware.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:40 PM

I would leave it alone as you now have no way to restore Windows unless you have a Windows XP full installation disk and the correct 25 digit key number for your operating system.

You can get the key number (highly suggested now) by using Keyfinder from magicaljellybean.com. Keep it in a safe place as you will eventually need it, and once your Windows installation becomes inoperable you won't be able to get it, so get it now.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:10 AM

Belarc will also provide you with the Product Key number.

#6 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 11:05 AM

Unless I'm missing something obvious, having the CD key is useless since the OS cannot be reinstalled without getting an XP install disc. Since it comes with its own CD key, the original key is useless.

This is why I suggested using Partition Magic: It will create and resize patitions without affecting the present XP installation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that Digital Dolloy destroys all data when it makes changes to partitions.

Edited by pascor22234, 25 June 2006 - 11:06 AM.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:14 PM

If you wipe, format or delete the partition, then yes it does. It also has a non-destructive partition resizer much like Partition Magic.
You can resize, larger or smaller, the partitions and format the unformat porition without disturbing the current partition.

#8 TranNova

TranNova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for the replys.

I should have mentioned before that I have HP recover disks that can restore my computer back to normal (I have used them before, so I know they work). So the general thing here is leave the space alone because it's not nessecery and doesn't pose a security rick?

#9 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:17 AM

Thanks for the replys.

I should have mentioned before that I have HP recover disks that can restore my computer back to normal (I have used them before, so I know they work). So the general thing here is leave the space alone because it's not nessecery and doesn't pose a security rick?

Since you got rid of that partition, your recovery cd's wont work. The cd's access critical data that was stored on the recovery partition, hence the name, "recovery". So, those are pretty much coasters now.

No, It doesnt pose a security risk, all you have to do is use a program such as the one already mentioned, partition magic, and allocate the free space. It only takes about 2 seconds, and you'll have the full size of your hard drive..

*Edit

Just a quick note, since I've recently had a lot of experience with partitioning, and let me emphasize on A LOT

I can assure you that allocating the freespace is harmless... Once you resize your hard drive to its full size, then you can resize and create your different partitions for data backup/recovery. You're not able to use the HP recovery cd's again, once that recovery partition is gone, all your left with is what you have. If something happens to that copy of windows, you have to use a bought, borrowed, or god forbid stolen copy of Windows to reformat.

Edited by Uraiser, 26 June 2006 - 02:21 AM.

#10 TranNova

TranNova
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:23 AM

I know the CDs work for recovering windows, believe me i've used them quiet a few times because HP likes to give me faulty hard drives (don't worry about that, it's been fixed a long time ago). But again the CDs work even without the recover patition.

Thanks for your replies though, I can rest easier now that my computer has one less security hole :thumbsup:.

#11 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:42 PM

I know the CDs work for recovering windows, believe me i've used them quiet a few times because HP likes to give me faulty hard drives (don't worry about that, it's been fixed a long time ago). But again the CDs work even without the recover patition.

Thanks for your replies though, I can rest easier now that my computer has one less security hole :thumbsup:.

No problem..

and recovery cd's that work without the recovery partition.. Interesting.. I know that the CD's retrieve data from the recovery partition such as validation to show its a true copy of windows, and other files that make the computer come with all that crap that store bought computers are crammed with.. HP must work differently though..

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:58 PM

It would still be a good idea to have your Windows key as you might have to reauthenticate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users