Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Messed up computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ballonflower90

Ballonflower90

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

My friends son thought that he could fix his computer and he totally messed it up. He reinstalled windows 7 and now he has a memory problem now. Drive C  is completely used up. 1.59 MB free of 131GB. It is now the recovery partition. D drive has 61.6 Gb free of 122 GB.  Can boot into 7 dvd to reformat the hard drive The dvd drive keeps telling him to load a disk. Dvd will not run to reformat. He also gets a warning of low disk space.  Disk Cleanup states that c;| has only 0 MB of free disk space to prevent information loss and performance problems, you need to free up disk space. Unable to do that.

What to do to reformat hard drive and reinstall op. system. The only thing on this computer is the op system.  No files, all is gone.

Please help.

Edited by Ballonflower90, 25 January 2015 - 10:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

An option other than reformatting the hard disk and re-partitioning it, would be to attempt a factory reset via the recovery partition, or recovery disks that you made (or didn't make, but can usually be purchased from the computer manufacturer).  In theory, if the recovery works, the computer will be reset to the condition in which it shipped from the manufacturer.  That is the route that I would recommend.

Hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:40 PM

It would help to know the make and model of this computer.

I agree with garioch7, if the System Recovery partition is still viable use it to restore the operating system to the condition it was in when it came out of the box.

If the System Recovery partition is no longer viable you will need to download a ISO image of your version of Windows 7, burn this to a disc and then install the operating system.  You will also need to download and install the drivers for this computer from the manufacturer's website.  If you need to do this I will provide you with a link which will have a download for the proper version of Windows 7.  I will also provide instruction for creating the installation disk.

The following is a little confusing...  

1.  Can boot into 7 dvd to reformat the hard drive 2.  The dvd drive keeps telling him to load a disk. 3.  Dvd will not run to reformat.

1.  First you state that you can reformat the hdd with the installation disc?

2.  Then you post that DVD won't load?

3.  Then you post that the DVD will not run.  Is this the DVD drive or disc?

You will need to make sure that the boot order in the BIOS is set so that the DVD drive is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

When this is down and you start the computer you should get a message to the effect of press any key to boot from the disc.  If you are not getting this message either the boot order isn't set to see the DVD drive first, or there is a problem with the disc.

Where did this disc come from?

Is the version of this disc the same as what you have installed?  I will need to know which Window 7 you have installe (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate).  I will also need to know the version (32-bit or 64-bit).

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Ballonflower90

Ballonflower90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:28 PM

I think I have lost the drivers for the dvd player.  The computer is a Compaq CQ 61-319. Meant to say cannot boot with dvd.  May be a problem with the disk. It is an old disk I had, maybe damaged.  Not the same of what was installed.  Home pre. 32 bit  Can I get a usb with windows 7 on it to use? 

I am new at this . Trying to learn.

Thank you.

#5 Ballonflower90

Ballonflower90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:38 PM

I know nothing about iso. I need to read and learn about this. Have no clue. Yes a link would be great.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:09 AM

Below is the link to Windows 7 (32-bit).

When you download this, download it to your desktop so it will be easy to find.  You change the download destination in your browser.  

If you are using Chrome, click on the Menu button chromebutton_zps54a07f14.png (in the upper right corner), then click on Settings.  

Scroll down toward the bottom of the page and click on Show advanced settings.

Scroll down to Downloads.  Click on Change, a menu will open with the download location options, click on Desktop, then click on OK.

If you are using Firefox, you can find the instructions here

================

Believe it of not, for a novice it is actually easier to burn the ISO image to a DVD.  As far as using a DVD pr flash drive, you will have to change the boot order in the BIOS in order to boot from either one.

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has been created click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

==================

Please do the following so I can see who the manufacturer of the BIOS is and what version it is.  Then I can find instructions for changing the boot order in the BIOS.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,506 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:28 PM

dc3, I gotta tell you a quick story on myself!  After running Speccy, I thought a quick printout would be nice.  Picked print all.  Printer printed and printed and printed...finally, I stopped the process.  Now using the backside of all that paper for other printings.

OP mentioned using a disk not originally installed on the 'puter -- could be an OEM version colliding with a "blue-disk" version?  64-bit colliding with a 323-bit?  I've been reading other threads in here also.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:38 PM

@RolandJS

The OP specified the Home Premium (32-bit).  I went with that information.  But I asked for the Speccy so that I could confirm that this is indeed the operating system and version.

If you create the Speccy snapshot, you can post it in the tests and scribbles forum to see what it looks like.  Once you have seen this you will understand why it would take so many pages to print it all out.  Just be glad it wasn't a TDSSKiller log!

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,506 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:30 PM

Thanks dc3!  I thought Home Premium 32 [or 64] can come as either OEM or Microsoft "blue-disk."  I'll be watching this thread and learning!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:52 PM

Thanks dc3!  I thought Home Premium 32 [or 64] can come as either OEM or Microsoft "blue-disk."  I'll be watching this thread and learning!

Blue-disk creates is intended to be used to create a dual boot operating system on one partition.  

In-OS Dual Boot installation

For IN-OS installation has some pre-requisites which every other installation has. We need to have a Core 6.1 and above OS which we will use as the Host Operating System. This Operating system will be used to create the Booting Virtual Hard Disk (Bootable Blue Disk) for Dual Boot installation of Windows.

This is an excerpt from a Microsoft TechNet article.

There are two types of installation discs, the OEM, and the Retail version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users