Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data recovery from an Acer hard drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sandman55

sandman55

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:47 PM

Hi all I have a hard drive from an Acer laptop (Win XP) that died from a charging problem some years back and is in pieces. I put the HDD in an enclosure and I see only one file in My Documents instead of what should be there and it says USBC with about three wingding type squares a little 2 as in a squared and then another wingding type square. I have a Ubuntu Dual boot with XP box (I don't put XP on the net) and I looked at it in Ubuntu and saw the Acer and the Acer Data (recovery) so when I looked in the acer partition I could see all the data (normal individual flies and photos) in My documents even though each file has a little pad lock on it. I should have copied it all there and then but I went back to XP to try but as XP didn't recognise the USBC file it wouldn't. I went back to Ubuntu and found I couldn't see the Acer partition only the Acer Data (recovery) partition. I have searched the net to see if this USBC is a Data locking virus and couldn't find much. In Ubuntu I ran a program that said one of the sectors and cylinders was wrong so in windows XP I ran Chkdsk and I think I have stuffed it up as I can now see the pertition in Ubuntu but there is just an unknown file with a padlock on it in My Documents and the file is too small.

My question is does anyone know if I can access the data in the Acer Data(recovery) partition even though it isn't in an Acer Laptop.

Thanks in advance for any advice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:00 AM

In linux you might have to mount manually. Check if the system can read the drive/partitions. Running command....

sudo fdisk -lu

-or,

sudo blkid

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/myfiles

cd /mnt/myfiles

-ls

#3 sandman55

sandman55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:49 AM

Hi technonymous I have no problem mounting it now, only I think it might have been corrupted further by Chkdsk in windows so I am wondering if anyone knows if I might be able to get the data from the recovery partition which is untouched.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users