Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Questions

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ron2014

ron2014

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:55 PM

I used to use Zone Alarm awhile back in XP which would alert me when a program or process was accessing the internet for whatever reason. It would show a pop up which asked if i wanted to permit the program through or not. Is there a program like this for Win 7?

Also, any program that alerts you when your Mic and camera are being accessed by unauthorized users? I am testing  2 apps for my android phone called Camera block free and Microphone block free that does this. Seem to work o.k. on my phone.

Thanks
Ron

Edit: Topic moved from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:44 PM

As far as I know ZoneAlarm also supports Windows 7.

You can also use Comodo Firewall (remember to uncheck Install Comodo Antivirus).

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:04 AM

Also, any program that alerts you when your Mic and camera are being accessed by unauthorized users? I am testing  2 apps for my android phone called Camera block free and Microphone block free that does this. Seem to work o.k. on my phone.

These sorts of apps are next to  useless on a PC or Phone for that matter, If you need software to stop a bad guy or malware turning on your PC camera or mic then the damage is already done, They have to access and control of the device. Wouldn't it be wiser to stop them before they get in?

Edited by NickAu, 26 January 2015 - 12:05 AM.

#4 ron2014

ron2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:10 AM

These sorts of apps are next to  useless on a PC or Phone for that matter, If you need software to stop a bad guy or malware turning on your PC camera or mic then the damage is already done, They have to access and control of the device. Wouldn't it be wiser to stop them before they get in?

That is what I am trying to do. Stop them before. What is the solution?

#5 ron2014

ron2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:13 AM

You can also use Comodo Firewall (remember to uncheck Install Comodo Antivirus).

Thanks. I haven't used  comodo yet. Will check it out.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:43 PM

Comodo Firewall probably have the most agressive HIPS I've ever seen. Keeping it enabled when you run a scan, no matter what kind of scan it is, will drive you crazy, talking from personal exexperience here :P If you indeed want to know everything that is happening on your system in any way there is: pop-ups, warnings, logs, schedules, etc., then Comodo Firewall is the firewall to go for this. I support that. It can just be a double-edged sword for an user who wouldn't know how to use it properly.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:02 PM

Comodo Firewall probably have the most agressive HIPS I've ever seen. Keeping it enabled when you run a scan, no matter what kind of scan it is, will drive you crazy, talking from personal exexperience here :P If you indeed want to know everything that is happening on your system in any way there is: pop-ups, warnings, logs, schedules, etc., then Comodo Firewall is the firewall to go for this. I support that. It can just be a double-edged sword for an user who wouldn't know how to use it properly.

Have you tried Emsisoft Online Armor? It can drive you insane with the HIPS. :P

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:05 PM

I didn't try it yet but I intend to buy Emsisoft Internet Security for a year once my Kaspersky licence expires so I guess I'll see then! :) I've heard good things about it, if it's as they say, I won't regret investing in it!

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:31 PM

FYI, the firewall in Emsisoft Internet Security does not have HIPS. If you need HIPS you'll have to install the standalone Online Armor.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,708 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:05 PM

Can anybody explain to this Linux user what's wrong with the Windows firewall?

#11 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

Sometimes people want to monitor what exactly is going on in their machine, Nick - not just blocking the baddies. :P

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

The fact that nothing's wrong with the Windows Firewall, but third-party firewall most of the time have a better HIPS for the people that want to know exactly what's going on their system when it comes to processes and network communications? :P

unite_blue.png

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:35 PM

Sometimes people want to monitor what exactly is going on in their machine, Nick - not just blocking the baddies. :P

There are third-party tools for Windows Firewall which allows you to do and see more.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,708 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:43 PM

Thanks Quietman

IMO

I do not see the point of installing a 3rd party firewall when the Windows 1 is just as good, Add to that Windows Firewall Control for Windows 8, 7, Vista and you are set.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:47 PM

:thumbup2:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif