Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Page File Questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:38 PM

I've read in several places that, in order to get a better performance out of your PC, you can set up the Page File to compliment your RAM. I haven't spent too much time looking, but I have no idea what exactly the page file is, what it does, or how to set it up. I'd really appreciate it if someone could either explain to me how it works and how to go about setting it up for my computer or just give me a website with a good explanation on Page Files.

For those interested, I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 on a 64-bit Dual-Core Athlon with 2GB (2x 1GB) RAM and a 400GB HDD. I don't know if this affects the Page File at all, I hoping to learn though :thumbsup:.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:03 PM

XP automatically adjust the page file size (virtual RAM) to 1.5 times the physical memory size. For the vast number of users this is an optimal setting. Unless you are a serious gamer or deal with truly hellacious spreadsheets then you are best off leaving this setting alone.

#3 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:05 PM

I am a serious gamer... My entire system was custom built around its ability to play all the newest, most demanding games. Other than surfing the internet and checking email, that's all this system is used for.

Thanks for the reply, but your post didn't really explain anything I was looking for.

Edited by .Prodigy., 23 June 2006 - 06:55 PM.

Posted Image

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:36 PM

Basically, the Page File is what your operating system uses when it runs low on RAM resources.
virtual memory
paging

The minimum should be 1.5 times your memory size. The maximum should be at least, three times your memory.
If your not getting any error messages about being low on virtual memory, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you want to adjust it:
Click Start / Control Panel / Performance and Maintenance / System / Advanced tab
Under Performance click the Settings button.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Virtual Memory, click the Change button.
Under Paging file size for selected drive,put a tick next to Custom size:.
Then click the Set button.

Or, the best solution, you could increase the amount of RAM your system has by buying more, since reading the hard drive is much slower than RAM.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:51 PM

Thank you tg1911, that's exactly what I was looking for. I don't plan on changing the page file until I encounter some serious lag in resource-inensive games. I find that I need to know as much as I can about how my computer works in order to use it to the best of it's abilities, and this is just another step towards that goal. As for buying more RAM, I have 2GB at the moment, so I'm not really aching for a speed increase.

I went through and looked at what my Page File is currently set at. The minimum is set at 2046 and the max is 4092. Should I change it to the suggested minimum of 1.5x and maximum or 3x my physical memory, or should I just leave it alone? The resulting settings whould be 3072 and 6144, a huge increase, with little or no noticeable performance increase.

Edited by .Prodigy., 23 June 2006 - 10:56 PM.

Posted Image

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:05 AM

You're welcome, .Prodigy..
Glad I could help.

If you're not experiencing any problems, I wouldn't worry about it.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:46 PM

If you have more than one hdd it is preferable to put the page file (also called swapfile) on the slave drive. Doing so will minimize fragmentation and make your system slightly faster.

Unless you are experiencing running out of memory problems, which would be unlikely with the amount of Ram you have, I wouldn't change the size of your pagefile that Windows has set for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users