Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install Avast on XP 64bit

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dnap

dnap

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:51 PM

Ok, not exactly sure if I should post this here, or in the XP forum? Anyways, I just built a new computer, and I use XP 64bit, which I have for years. Before I formatted and all that, Avast worked fine on XP 64bit, but now, I can't get it to work. It will usually install, and will want a restart, then after the Windows screen, the screen will be black, and a window will pop up saying something about Avast is changed, or something, and do I want to allow it, and whether I pick yes or no, the screen will just stay black. Restarting just brings it right back to the same black screen, and I have to go into safe mode and do a system restore to before I installed it. I have tried the latest version, and old versions I had from backing up my files before formatting, all resulting in the same problem.

Also, not sure if anyone could help with this other problem. I use Firefox, with adblock, and for some reason, the easylist filter causes my Yahoo search autocomplete to disappear when I mouse over it. It doesn't happen on the home page, only once I start a search, for example, I type in "bleeping" and hit enter, and it brings me to the list of searches it found. Then I put my cursor in the search bar, and it brings down a list of stuff related to "bleeping", and I go to click on one of them, the whole list just disappears. If I turn adblock off, or the easylist off, it doesn't happen, but with easylist off, it doesn't really block any ads. Is there any way around this?

CPU - AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

Motherboard -MSI 990FXA-GD80

Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Video Card - MSI Radeon R9 280

Storage - Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM

Power Supply - hec XP1080 800W

Case - Antec DF-35

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:05 PM

There is no mention of XP 64-bit support for avast! 2015

System requirements for Avast Free Antivirus 2015

Recommended system requirements to install and run Avast Free Antivirus 2015 on your computer:

Windows 8.1 except RT and Starter Edition (32 or 64-bit); Windows 8 except RT and Starter Edition (32 or 64-bit); Windows 7 SP1 or higher, any Edition (32 or 64-bit); Windows Vista SP2 or higher, except Starter Edition (32 or 64-bit); Windows XP SP2, any Edition.

As for your browser issue, you can start a new topic and ask in the Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications forum. This forum is only for issues related to Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware Software.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 dnap

dnap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:24 PM

Well it says Windows XP SP2, any edition, which would make it sound like 64bit XP is still supported, no? And I just built this computer, and was using Avast on 64bit XP until I built it, so I don't see why it wouldn't work now.

Edit: Well it's Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition, but I guess it's considered Windows Server 2003. Still worked on it up until now...

Note:
Avast Free Antivirus 2015 is not supported on Microsoft Windows Server operating systems, or any operating systems which are not specified.

Edited by dnap, 25 January 2015 - 10:27 PM.

CPU - AMD FX-8350 Black Edition

Motherboard -MSI 990FXA-GD80

Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Video Card - MSI Radeon R9 280

Storage - Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM

Power Supply - hec XP1080 800W

Case - Antec DF-35

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:33 PM

I think they are referring to XP Home and XP Pro in regards to any Edition.

I was going by the fact that all the OS' before XP specify 32 or 64-bit.

You can confirm with avast! Free 24x7 Phone Support for installation, configuration, and trouble-shooting questions...(US) 1-866-951-7679

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:38 PM

Edit: Well it's Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition, but I guess it's considered Windows Server 2003. Still worked on it up until now...

I replied before reading your edit...that is correct.

Windows XP 64-bit is basically a Windows Server 2003 OS...
A description of the x64-based versions of Windows Server 2003 and of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users