Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

98SE won't install, driving me up the freaking wall

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xereeto

xereeto

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:49 PM

This is a follow-up  to my original thread about W98 not recognising my second partition. Now it recognises it fine, it just won't install on it >:|

I have DOS 6.22 installed on partition 1,  and I want to install Windows 98 on a separate partition.

I used Linux to create a second primary DOS partition, and then formatted it to FAT32 using the W98 startup disk. Then I marked it active using fdisk. So at this point the partition table looks like this:

Number      Letter     Label       Type        Format   Size        Active      Notes
1           D          MSDOS622    PRI DOS     FAT16    2048MB      NO          This is the one DOS6.22/W3.1 is installed on
2           C          WINDOWS98   PRI DOS     FAT32    4096MB      YES         This is the one I want to install Windows 98 on

I try running setup.exe, and everything runs smoothly until it spits this at me:

Your computer already has an operating system installed, which cannot be upgraded by this version of Setup. Please obtain the Windows 98 Upgrade.

I don't understand. Why won't it install on the C: drive just because there's an OS on the D: drive? Any suggestions for how I can get to install?!

Thanks.

Edited by xereeto, 25 January 2015 - 06:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

See the second from last post in this thread.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:12 PM

You may get additional insight or ideas using Grub Bootloader

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:51 PM

John, correct me if I am wrong, in the older days, didn't the harddrive have to have a primary partition, and an extended partition, from which flowed the logical partitions -- for DOS 6.22 & earlyBird Windows to work?  I'm not home, so I can't look it up.  Fdisk established partitions, one primary, the rest extended/logicals?  Ok, if using two harddrives, I don't know the answer.  Using one harddrive with two equal primary partitions, I guess you and the others will teach me too!  I'm watching this thread.

Oh, ok, I just now remembered, DOS 6.22 has to be installed first, correct?  Then, Windows 98, correct?

If both partitions were FAT16, would that be better for overall folder/file workings?

Edited by RolandJS, 27 January 2015 - 04:55 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,690 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:00 PM

I think you are correct regarding the primary and extended partitions regarding Fdisk. That is why the OP could not install Windows 98. It saw the first primary partition as having DOS so could not install on another primary. I think the problem would be solved if the Windows 98 partition was extended and a logical partition created in that. Then Windows 98 could be installed to the logical parititon.  But, I am not sure if Windows can boot from a logical partition. I know linux can but not sure about Windows.

I am not sure of what purpose you would want to boot DOS and WIndows 98 as 98 has boot to DOS mode where you can run programs in that.

#6 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:20 AM

If I were you, I'd backup any data on your do partition, in fact, I'd just copy the whole partition, since It's just 2 gigabytes. You may need to use a backup tool, like PartedMagic, a free linux live cd made just for partitions and backups.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users