Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Flashdrive Not Working right

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:00 PM

I think this has happened because I tried to insert USB Flash-drive while OS was booting, O-boy I am a knuckle head.

I was going to create a word document and could not make a new folder in my USB with Libre-Office, in fact- when the usb first mounted I tried to make a Folder and the screen would disappear > then I clicked on the usb drive icon to pull it back up, now some of the folders had little "Lock Icons" on them? and still could not make a Folder or Save a document.  Something is very amiss lol, no wonder with all the stupid stuff I have done.

Any help is appreciated, I am still working on the issue.  Here is the screenshot to the Permissions, I hope this will help.  I think the usb is buggered up now that I inserted it prematurely.  Next I am going to try and copy the files to another fresh usb.

331174x.png

Edited by pcpunk, 25 January 2015 - 06:08 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:05 PM

Some problems are more complicated than others and require additional work to isolate the issue. So, try not to overwhelm the user with possible conflicting information during the troubleshooting process. Wait for the user to report back that step 1 is done and the result before suggesting anything new,

Unless you know exactly what the problem is and how to fix it.

Stay on topic Please.

Thank's
Nick.

Be Verbose
When you ask for support you should also include as much information about the problem as possible. Including all of the important details in your first post will greatly speed up the entire support process and allow our volunteers to better assist you. While you may think a particular error message isn't very helpful, it may be the key to resolving your issue. Some details we are looking for would include, but not be limited to:

•     Your distribution's name (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc), version (17, 14.04, 7, etc), and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit).
  •     Provide relevant information about your physical hardware or installed software.
  •     Share relevant log files, screenshots, detailed error messages, or anything else that could be used to troubleshoot your issue.

[Community Standards] Properly Giving & Receiving GNU/Linux Support

Edited by NickAu, 25 January 2015 - 06:33 PM.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,995 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:41 PM

I Copied all files to new USB Flash-drive, every time an Error came up I chose "Skip" and the new USB works.  Now I will have to reformat the old one and re-copy back to it as it is a bigger USB-32GB.  Still any suggestions as how to fix it would be good, that way I might be able to save those files that were buggered up.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:52 AM

pcpunk, in that screenshot, you need to change a value. 

Under Group, right below that, where it says Folder Access, you need from the drop down list select 'Access Files', it says 'None' as of the time of snapshot posting. Then Close it. 

Don't change anything else. Now see what happens. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:32 AM

pcpunk, in that screenshot, you need to change a value. 

Under Group, right below that, where it says Folder Access, you need from the drop down list select 'Access Files', it says 'None' as of the time of snapshot posting. Then Close it. 

Don't change anything else. Now see what happens. 

Cat

huh.... I can't make sense of your comment.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:28 AM

I don't understand why the properties tab is showing different boxes for Folder and File access.

With the USB drive plugged in and mounted in its default directory, if you post the output of
ls -l /media/chris/
... that would help to clarify what the problem is.

Edited by Al1000, 29 January 2015 - 05:29 AM.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,995 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:06 PM

cat1092, I tried this but now I can't even access Permissions, here is the Error I get when selecting Permissions:  "The Permissions of "7BBO-73F3" could not be determined."

Al000, I don't think this will help but what do I know lol:  

chris@chris-HP-Compaq-nx7400-EN352UTR-ABA ~ $ ls -l /media/chris/

total 16
drwx------ 124 chris chris 16384 Dec 31  1969 7BB0-73F3

I have not tampered with it yet so if you guys are still interested I will keep it as is, and appreciate the help keeping my info if possible.  I was also going to copy it again and save some screenshots as to what the buggered files were exactly.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:30 PM

rwx
So you have read ( r ), write (w) and execute (x) permissions, and
------
Neither the group nor anyone else has any permissions.

I've checked a couple of my USB sticks, and they are exactly the same. So at least we know that the problem isn't a lack of permissions for accessing the USB stick.

Is this an old USB stick that could be coming to the end of it's life?

In any case, I can only suggest reformatting it now that you have all your files removed from it. Out of interest, what file system is it formatted with just now?

Edited by Al1000, 29 January 2015 - 06:31 PM.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,995 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:37 PM

Thanks Al, that is interesting.  It is quite new, but as stated earlier...it was inserted when I was booting up OS, then the issue appeared.  

Fat32, I will not re-format right away, don't need it badly right now.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:18 PM

I wonder if perhaps the file system could have become corrupted when you plugged the USB in. The only time I've ever had a file system mount as read-only, was when I had created a directory in the directory that the USB file system is mounted in, and forgot to delete it before mounting the drive. But I got a warning message telling me that there was already something else in the directory, so presumably that isn't the problem you are having. But it does go to show how various things might affect it.

As you're not in any hurry to fix it, I would be inclined to mess around with it at your leisure, and see if you can find out what's wrong with it. Have you tried using it with any other operating systems? That may still not tell us what's wrong, but at least it would rule out the problem being related to the operating system if it doesn't work with another operating system either.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:35 PM

I've checked a couple of my USB sticks, and they are exactly the same. So at least we know that the problem isn't a lack of permissions for accessing the USB stick.

I have just tested a few USB sticks on my Ubuntu Desktop. I have found that if the stick is formated on mu Ubuntu Laptop in ext4, When I plug it into my Ubuntu desktop I get read write errors, I can just copy paste to the USB stick for example. And vice versa.

Edited by NickAu, 29 January 2015 - 07:35 PM.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,995 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:24 PM

I wonder if perhaps the file system could have become corrupted when you plugged the USB in.  This is exactly what I think happened, I am such a knuckle head? The only time I've ever had a file system mount as read-only, was when I had created a directory in the directory that the USB file system is mounted in, and forgot to delete it before mounting the drive. But I got a warning message telling me that there was already something else in the directory, so presumably that isn't the problem you are having. But it does go to show how various things might affect it.

As you're not in any hurry to fix it, I would be inclined to mess around with it at your leisure, and see if you can find out what's wrong with it.  Yes, this is what I will do.  Have you tried using it with any other operating systems? No, but I will try soon. That may still not tell us what's wrong, but at least it would rule out the problem being related to the operating system if it doesn't work with another operating system either.

Answers in Blue above, thanks!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:03 AM

Can you try plugging in the Flash drive to a Windows computer, anyone who'll let you, and see if the drive is working properly? 

If not, most has a minimum of a 1 year warranty, many 3 to 10 years, a few Lifetime. There is an RMA process one has to go through, can't tell you about turnaround (how fast you'll get another), as I've never had to send one back. 

One last thing, go to your Software Manager & install the ntfs-3g app (should be the top or first choice), it may show as installed at the bottom, but install it anyway, this allows one to read & write to Flash drives & some external drives, such as USB backup ones. 

Good Luck! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,995 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:52 PM

I will plug usb into Windows cat, but, look at what I am seeing now with the new usb, with the files moved to it.  I don't get it - am I doing something wrong, I got a lot of info in here, not super important but a lot of work.  I do have an older backup of this but with way less info.  It works fine but cannot access Permissions?  Sorry guys tried to make it smaller but it won't let me, me thinks my OS is buggy already, dam that Compiz.  I might need to revert my Theme, I don't know.

Permissions not available, what is wrong here:

2hzr7rl.png

Edited by pcpunk, 31 January 2015 - 12:58 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

You can't catch a break can you :P.

I'd suggest using "sudo -i" to get root permissions (so you can view the folder's permission settings), and then "ls -l -R /media/example" to see the permissions for that folder as well as all sub-folders and files. Bare minimum, for normal access to your data, you'd need read, write, and execute permissions for all directories, as well as read and write permissions for all files.

Edited by hollowface, 31 January 2015 - 08:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users