Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

formatting Toshiba laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JannEd

JannEd

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

My granddaughter gave my grandson her Toshiba laptop because she said 'it is now a piece of crap. She had it about a year and NEVER cleaned it. There is like over 200 cookies on it as well as other stuff. Alex is very savvy when it comes to computers but he is perplexed because he wants to format it thus getting rid of all thbloatware Toshiba put on it. It will not format and the error message says Windows will not allow it. He has a clean copy of Windows 7. So any suggestions short of running it over with the truck?

Haven't been on here for awhile. had two emergency surgeries that caused a lot of issues for me. I miss everyone!! 

Jann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:15 PM

Welcome back,

Hope the recoveries were short in time and on pain.

If the laptop will boot from the installation CD you should be able to do a format as part of the installation process. If not then it may be time to get expert help from the trained volunteers in the Am I infected forum.

PS: Trucks crush computers, not problems

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:21 PM

If your grandson is doing a clean install with a Windows 7 install disk, he may need to install drivers from the Toshiba support site.

I think he received this error because he tried to format the drive from within windows.

You can do it with the install disk as dicke posted. Here is a step by step guide on doing a clean install. You can delete existing partitions and create a new one during the install process.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:34 PM

If he's going to do that, he may as well wipe the hdd so that he can utilize the whole drive.  You can use a program like Darik'c Nuke and Boot to overwrite the entire drive, this will remove the recovery partition as well.  Once that is done he will need a Window 7 installation disc that matches the version installed (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate) and the proper 32-bit or 64-bit version.  It has to be the same version as the one which was previously installed, otherwise he will not be able to activate the operating system.

If he needs a disc for this I can provide him with a link to a ISO download which can be used to create the installation disc.  I will need to know what the proper version is.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users