Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems uninstalling unwanted software

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 AsylumW0lf

AsylumW0lf

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:25 PM

I'm trying to clean up some unused programs on a Win 7 machine but after I removed "AnyProtect by CMI limited" then "CWA Reminder by We-Care" but when I went to uninstall the next unused program and no matter what I try to uninstall I get an error saying "Windows Installer Service could not be accessed" and the program cancels the uninstallation process.  I've checked msconfig and it says that Windows Installer is stopped.  Any ideas how to fix?

Edited by AsylumW0lf, 25 January 2015 - 02:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:10 PM

Welcome,

Have you tried

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/revo-uninstaller/

It usually gets the job done.

Just be careful. PUPs that protect themselves that well may be hiding something worse.

You might consider visiting the Am I Infe3cted forum and let one of the trained volunteers there walk you through the steps necessary to make sure your system is clean.

If REVO doesn't do it, post back and I can ask one of the moderators to move the thread so you get the help you need and they can see what's been done.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 AsylumW0lf

AsylumW0lf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:58 PM

That would only help me continue to uninstall programs but wouldn't fix the fact that the windows install/uninstall file is now either being blocked or is corrupted.  What I'd like to know is a way to either fix or replace it.  I tried doing SFC scan in the CMD prompt and that came back clean and I tried to re-register the program using the command prompt in both locations that its found.  Any other ideas??

EDIT: Typos.   too tired....  ha

Edited by AsylumW0lf, 26 January 2015 - 01:24 AM.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:49 AM

My best guess would be to get you over to the Am I infected forum and let the trained volunteers there help you

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 AsylumW0lf

AsylumW0lf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:06 AM

I just made a post over there (basically combining my two previous posts here in a grammatically correct way haha).  Thanks for the ideas anyways, Dicke. 

((Any mods seeing this are welcome to remove this forum topic))

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:28 AM

Member has reposted as suggested here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/564568/problems-uninstalling-unwanted-software/

To avoid confusion and duplication of information everyone please continue in that topic. I will close this one.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users