Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Think I Accidentally Disable All My Video Cards, Now I Cant See Desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chef raeqwon

chef raeqwon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:28 PM

See I have had this ATI card for almost 2 years and have updated the drivers many times, and before you install the new ones, you must un-install all the old ones first. But you can't use the card with no drivers, so you must switch to the built-in card to install the new drivers. So after I switch to AGP in the BIOS (the ATI card was PCI), I could see the Windows XP start-up screen, but after that the screen went blank. I know it entered the desktop okay because I can hear the XP music, but I cant see anything. I have tried switching back to PCI, but the drivers are not installed, so it doesn't work. I have tried safe mode and VGA mode, but I still get a blank screen after the Windows screen. And I know their is nothing wrong with the monitor. Is their any way I can reinstall the built-in cards drivers. I just need a way I can see the desktop so I can install the ATI cards drivers. I thank the people here in advance for help.

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :) :cool:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:54 AM

Go into BIOS and make the change back to the onboard adapter. turn your computer off, not reboot. Remove your addon video card. When you restart your computer windows should not see the addon card any longer and start with the onboard adapter.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 05:42 PM

I think Acklan's on the right track - if you had a PCI card, there may also be an AGP slot, but neither is your onboard video. So when you said,

So after I switch to AGP in the BIOS

. . . it makes me think that you either have a third choice, or you're doing something else wrong. If you have an AGP card and you've been using a PCI card, it's usually normal to have one or the other but not both and onboard video means "on the motherboard" - not in the AGP slot.

#4 chef raeqwon

chef raeqwon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:12 PM

No, my motherboard does not have a external AGP slot, but for some reason, the built-in motherboard card is AGP. I will try what Acklan said, but any other suggestions would still be helpful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users