Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating system couldn't be located..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 x_emp

x_emp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:14 PM

Hello everyone.

After trying to fix this issue myself for a whole day I finally decided to come to this website in order to see if I could get some assistance. I have an HP 15-R011DX laptop with Windows 8 installed. For some strange reason it refuses to fully boot up

It instead stops at a blue screen that says the following:

"Operating System couldn't be located: Error code 0x0000185

File:\Windows\System32\Config\System

Please use a recovery tool CD or USB"

I'm paraphrasing but thats around the gist of it.

The laptop was fairly new so I could care less about the files on it and wanted to return it to factory settings but unfortunately when I try to do this (Hitting F11 while its turning on, going to the options, etc. etc.) it gives me an error and won't allow it

I tried restoring it to a previous time and I still get an error. Over all the laptop won't allow me to do anything without there being an error such as

"Could not find offline boot volume" or "Unexpected error parameter incorrect (0x80070057)"

I've come to this site hoping someone here would be able to help me as I've completely run out of ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:01 PM

Welcome,

Do you have the OS installation CD? Can you boot from that? If so, try to run the startup repair utility.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 x_emp

x_emp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

Welcome,

Do you have the OS installation CD? Can you boot from that? If so, try to run the startup repair utility.

Keep us posted

Dick

I unfortunately do not have the OS installation CD. The laptop we bought was a display from best buy so it didn't come with the CD. Any other ways for me to acquire it?

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:21 PM

Not sure but you might be able to get a copy from the MS site. As long as you have the software key - it should be on a sticker glued to the bottom of the case. HP is another possibility.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,658 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

I would first check your hard drive for errors using Seatools for DOS. You will have to disable SecureBoot in BIOS and possibly enable legacy boot, sometimes known as CSM boot. Burn the Seatools for DOS iso and if it does not detect your hard drive change the mode in BIOS form AHCI to IDE. After the test, change the mode back to AHCI.

Tutorial

Microsoft now embeds the Windows key in BIOS. You may be able to retrieve it using a live linux disk. Here is a guide on retrieving it. The command is case sensitive. You have to have the MSDM table

ls /sys/firmware/acpi/tables    (this will list all your tables - look for MSDM)

sudo hd /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM

You will get output like this.

user@hp-laptop:~$ sudo hd /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM
00000000  4d 53 44 4d 55 00 00 00  03 13 48 50 51 4f 45 4d  |MSDMU.....HPQOEM|
00000010  53 4c 49 43 2d 4d 50 43  01 00 00 00 48 50 20 20  |SLIC-MPC....HP  |
00000020  00 00 04 00 01 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00  |................|
00000030  00 00 00 00 1d 00 00 00  ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **  |........*****-**|
00000040  ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **  ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **  |***-*****-*****-|
00000050  ** ** ** ** **                                    |*****|

****** in text form on the right is your key

Once you have the key, you can download Windows 8.1 as shown here. You can download from another computer. You have an OEM computer but I cannot confirm if an OEM Windows 8 key will work. Hopefully somebody on the Forum with Windows 8 can input it into the application and see if they are allowed to download.

If under Warranty, I would contact HP. They should provide install media free of charge and if Seatools for DOS detects a bad drive you should RMA it back to HP after contacting them.

#6 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:04 PM

Create installation media for Windows 8.1

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Before re-installing the OS Id exhaust the recovery options made available by having recovery media.

One other thought:

It seems unlikely given the text being displayed but has the boot sequence in the BIOS been changed resulting in the boot disk being ignored?

Edited by HairCut, 25 January 2015 - 06:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users