Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which AV software to use?? please help !!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lost society

lost society

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:47 AM

Ive recently had to reset my laptop and delete everything due to serious virus problems, its fine now and i realy want to know what anti virus or malware software to use. I have malware bytes, Ccleaner and free avast on it right now, is this a good choice or do you recommend something else. I want to make sure the programs im using dont clash etc..

desperate to get protected properly. Many thanks

carl

Edited by lost society, 25 January 2015 - 10:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lost society

lost society
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

also which is better AVAST or AVG

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:17 AM

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also a good choice for the same reason and so is Kaspersky Anti-virus. If you don't want to pay then I would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.

Keep in mind that all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software except Bitdefender Free...see Has the antivirus industry gone mad?!

ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware have the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers).

For other alternatives to consider, please read:Also keep in mind than an anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection. Please read:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:19 AM

I also recommend using the following:

#5 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:56 AM

Avast is better than AVG

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:27 AM

Hi lost society :)

Is it possible to get more information on your system? Like your computer specs?

OlT01aD.pngDxDiag Log
Follow the instructions below to create a dxdiag log and post it in your next reply.
  • Press on the Win Key + R keys to bring up the Run menu;
  • Enter dxdiag in the box and press on Enter;
  • If a message comes up asking you if you want to check if your drivers are digitally signed or not, click on Yes;
  • Once the dxdiag report window open, wait for it to load completely. The progress bar is in the bottom left corner;
  • Click on the Save All Information... button, then save the file on your Desktop as dxdiag.txt;
  • Open the text file, then copy/paste all the content in your next reply;
Also, do you want a free Antivirus product or a paid one? If so, what price range do you want? At the moment, you're using a good combinaison. avast! is a good free Antivirus and Malwarebytes is a must have (free or paid) if you ask me. I always recommend avast! as a free Antivirus to install and I don't recall receiving complaints about it from members I recommended it to.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

Is it possible to get more information on your system? Like your computer specs?...

The OP should be able to provide that information without posting logs. We don't want this forum to become like AII, asking folks to run various tools, posting logs and such unless there is a specific need to do so.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:56 PM

Well if he can give me his RAM and CPU that would be great, I can give other instructions so he can give me them without a dxdiag log if needed.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:57 PM

That's fine.