Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Shutdowns, video card issues, new Alienware M17x laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bizfound

Bizfound

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:32 AM

I've just about had it with my Alienware M17x laptop, and the Alienware Tech support "professionals".

I've been experiencing random shutdowns starting from the second day I owned the laptop (November, 2014), and occurring at most about once a week, and as frequently as once a day. I will be in the middle of browsing the internet, and the screen will go dark, the keyboard lights will go out, and I hear the fans wind down and the then the power button light will go dark. I don't get the typical Windows "Shutting Down" black screen, it just powers down all within about 2-3 seconds. It has even happened to me at the Windows Login screen, where I put in my password to log into Windows.

Suspecting overheating as the issue, Alienware tech support ran some benchmarking tests and determined that the processor was overheating (was reaching about 105° C), so they sent a technician to replace the heatsink and fan. It doesn't overheat now during benchmarking. But I'm still experiencing shutdowns, and now, I'm experiencing strange behaviors with my video card. 

I have an AMD R9 M290x, and I can switch to the onboard graphics (on the motherboard) by pressing a key on the laptop and restarting. But now, when I do this, the computer restarts and throws errors at me saying the AMD card is not installed, or that the driver needs to be updated (this never used to happen). I wanted to try and just use the onboard graphics in order to try and determine if the shutdowns were caused by the AMD card, but now I'm getting a bunch of blue screen errors. I don't know what to do at this point, if anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful. Not sure if there are two separate issues here, or if they are related.

01.25.2015-09.30.png

This is my first time posting, so I'm just posting the info below based off of what I've seen on other posts... Let me know if any other info would be helpful.

Speccy Snapshot

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/poB4rAa2VICMcafLMyS7ZuB

MiniDump Attached

Minidump.zip

Minitoolbox log

http://www.bizfound.com/Result.txt

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:47 AM

Please do not post these logs in host websites.  There members who will not download anything to their computer unless they know what it contains.

Because this computer is only two months old and is experiencing these problems I would either have it repaired by Dell, or have the vender you purchased it from replace it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users