Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Cd Rom Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bacchus

Bacchus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:20 PM

My problem is, essentially, with a CD ROM drive.

What I was trying to do was reformat a computer and install Windows XP. Now, this computer is old -- something like 300mhz old -- but I was doing it for a friend, so, her choice I guess. It already had a copy of Windows XP on, but it was obviously hacked. Everytime I started up the computer it would give me a message which was roughly "This copy of Windows is not genuine, please authenticate" or some such thing. So, I set about reformatting it to put a legal copy on there and get rid of all her excess junk.

First problem: normally I would just put in the Windows XP disc and let the boot disc do its job, but when I rebooted the computer with the disc in nothing happened. It just went straight to the desktop, ignoring the CD. I made sure to go into the BIOS and change the boot order to CD ROM, but nothing. When using the OS I discovered that the CDROM drive itself wasn't reading CD's, so I figured that was the problem, and I changed the CDROM drive. The new one apparently worked -- I was able to explore the Windows XP cd when using the OS itself -- but still it did not let me boot with the CD.

So, I just said "oh well" and reformatted anyway. It wouldn't let me reformat with the command prompt (it always told me the drive was in use, and so I couldn't reformat with the prompt... very frustrating) so I used a couple of MS DOS floppy disks to format the hard disk and install DOS that way. So, now the disk is formatted and I just have to get my legal copy of XP back on there.

However, even though I was able to read CD's before the format by going into My Computer and just clicking on the D drive myself, now in DOS it won't even acknowledge that there's a D drive. This means, of course, that I can't get XP on there because the CD won't work. Does anyone know what's wrong, here?

To summarize: I'm trying to install XP on a computer with DOS, but the computer isn't recognizing the D drive.

Maybe I should just try yet another CD ROM drive? It's just confusing, because I know the current one can read.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:34 PM

Hi Bacchus. First, XP can't be installed at a command prompt -- it must be installed by booting off the XP install disc. Secondly, the volume (drive letter) that contains the OS cannot be formatted by the OS.

I think the problem is that the device boot order in the BIOS needs to be changed so that the optical drive is ahead of the hard drive in the boot order menu. How to get into the BIOS menu can be challenging: When restarting keep pressing these keys in a sequence until the BIOS is entered: ESC, F1, F2, Delete. There may be a text message flashed on the screen at boot time instructing you what key to press to enter the BIOS menu.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:53 PM

Hi Bacchus
In your case you might be better off just creating the 6 disk set of boot floppies for XP.
You can download them from here. They are version specific. (i.e. Home\Pro\SP1\SP2)
Number them as you create them. When you're done, insert disk 1 and power up the system.
Make sure the XP cd is in the drive as well.

Edited by HitSquad, 23 June 2006 - 03:57 PM.

#4 Bacchus

Bacchus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:50 AM

Oh, okay. Sorry. Yeah, I've gone into the BIOS, but "hard disk" wasn't an option in the boot order. The CD is number one. Actually, it specifically checks the CD and floppy drives first, which is how I installed DOS in the first place. What's weird is that even though I can browse the CD while using the OS, it doesn't detect that it's a boot cd while booting... even though I've used it to boot my computer and other computers several times.

But, I suppose I will try this floppy method... although I would prefer somehow getting the boot CD to work as it should. I suppose I'm a bit of a perfectionist, in that I don't want to leave the computer with a glaring flaw. To me, not having a boot cd boot properly is a pretty glaring flaw... one that I don't know how to fix, because I've tried everything I could think of (playing around with the BIOS, changing the drives themselves, etc.).

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:36 AM

This is a wild shot, but you might try cleaning the lens with an inexpensive kit.

On the other hand brand new optical drives are pretty cheap these days.

#6 Bacchus

Bacchus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:39 AM

All right. So, you guys think it's simply bad floppy drive? Well... okay. I'll change it, then get back to you on its subsequent success (or, if we run out of what little luck we have, failure).

#7 Bacchus

Bacchus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2006 - 03:33 PM

All right. I installed my very own CD ROM from my main computer, one I'm sure is completely functional, and I still wasn't able to access the CD ROM drive from the DOS and therefore still not able to install Windows XP on the computer, making it pretty much functionless. Anyone have any idea how to fix it? I don't understand how installing Windows XP with floppy disks will fix anything, because you said I'll need to use the CD to finish the installation and I can't use the CD to finish up if the dang thing won't recognize the CD drive.

Any ideas, guys? Any help is appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users