Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Dead in a Week

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jared~

Jared~

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:28 PM

Hey all, I posted about a booting issue with a newly built computer that had been running for about a week before it stopped booting. I'll paste the post below for anyone that wants to see the specifics of the problem. TL;DR is that it was working for a week with no noticeable problems, was shut down normally, then simply wouldn't power on a few hours later. I tried a number of things, one being the paperclip test on the PSU and it failed that (though the standby power lights on the mobo and gpu will still come on while plugged in so maybe I botched that too). I tested the ram, checked the cable connections, tried powering it on with only the cpu, ram, and ssd, all to no avail. 

Since then I've ordered a replacement PSU and a new surge protector but honestly I'm really worried there's an underlying problem that caused the first to fail and will cause the second to fail as well. If it died during use it might be easier to pinpoint but as far as I could tell everything was fine when I turned it off and it just up and died in its sleep. Didn't touch the case, didn't move anything, didn't unplug anything, just shut it down and came back later to a dead machine. It's my hope that recent bad weather combined with a bad power strip caused a short, but seeing as it's a newly built machine it feels like it's far more likely that I botched something with the setup that's now sabotaging the system.

Anyhow, apologies for the wall of text, my main question is 'if someone told you their power supply died after a week of use, what would be the first thing you would suspect?'. I'd really like to take all the precautions I can so I don't fry this PSU as well, but given the trouble diagnosing the original problem I'm not really sure where to start.

Original Post Below---------------------------------

I recently put together a desktop but have run into an issue where it will no longer power on. I'm having a hard time pinpointing the problem since it was working just up until a few hours ago.

Issue details:

I shut down the computer normally, no issues with it while running that I could see. A few hours later I went to turn it on and nothing happened. The motherboard standby and GPU power lights are on when plugged in, but nothing happens when the power button is pressed. No fans, no beeps, no reaction whatsoever. I had been using it for about eight hours a day for roughly a week prior, shutting it down at night and turning it on in the morning.

What's been tried to no result:

Bridging the gap between the pins of the power switch

Pressing the manual power button on the motherboard itself

Disconnecting the GPU to reduce load on PSU

PC Build:

CPU: AMD FD8320FRHKBOX FX-8320 FX-Series 8-Core

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 750Ti GDDR5 2GB

RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM

PSU: Corsair CX Series 600 Watt ATX/EPS

SSD: Crucial M500 240GB SATA 2.5-Inch 7mm Internal Solid State Drive

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Optical Drive: Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive

I've read that it's most likely the PSU or Motherboard but was hoping that the specifics of the issue might make it easier to narrow it down, or find other possible solutions before spending money on a new part. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:44 PM

You most likely received a defective PSU; if they aren't DOA they usually die within the first month, a week isn't that unusual.

I wouldn't be concerned that anything you did killed it - most good PSUs have short circuit and overload protection and would shut off immediately if you did something 'bad'.

If you did the power on pin test correctly that would indicate that it isn't the motherboard (which would otherwise be a possibility) and that you should be fine if you simply swap the bad PSU for the new one.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 Jaminbennyj

Jaminbennyj

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:46 PM

How about input power? Do you have a UPS?

#4 Jared~

Jared~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:53 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't have a UPS as I'm a bit strapped for cash right now, but I would really like to get one in a few weeks. I had been using a laptop prior to this for about five years on the same outlet before the gpu bit the dust(prompting this new build) so I hadn't thought too much of the current in the house, but it would definitely give some peace of mind to know it was stable. The replacement PSU should arrive next week so I'll update then if it all ends well. If it doesn't I may have to hug my wallet and sob uncontrollably for a little while first.

#5 Jared~

Jared~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know everything seems to be ok with the PSU replacement. I'll still be holding my breath every time I turn it on for a while, but hopefully this one is ok.

One thing I am concerned about is that the PSU slot in the case is on the bottom of it, with a vent for the fan facing downward. Could this cause it to overheat? There's still about an inch between the vent and the floor but every case I've owned in the past mounts it at the top of the case so I'm not sure what having it at the bottom means for PSU ventilation.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:59 PM

Well...If the PSU mounts in the bottom there should be vent holes in the bottom of the case for the psu.  You could also turn the PSU upside down in the case to resolve no venting holes. I doubt this killed the PSU unless you live in a really hot area and are getting sub standard (low quality) PSU's.  Hope that helps~

#7 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:12 PM

It's part of the design for a reason, as long as you don't clog it up and you clean any filters it might have every month you should be okay

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users