Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Working on the "old" side of Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hogesinwa

hogesinwa

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Location:Crossed the Atlantic, via Havana. Now in Tampa Bay area for a while.
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:04 PM

I have just purchased a HP Elitepad 900.  As soon as it arrived, I updated Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro.  Since everyone here was so helpful with my dumb questions about my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (which surprisingly is still working) I’m hoping that I can get some answers to more dumb questions about my new HP tab.

First and foremost, I bought this unit because it has 64G internal memory, plus it has a slot for an SD card.

I get all my magazines now from Zinio.  I live on my boat so I have no room for paper mags in the numbers I subscribe to.

I can (and have done so) download the Zinio App to the Icon display of Windows. 

However, I much prefer to work on the old “desktop” view of Windows.

I can’t get the Zinio reader to download to this side, so that I can have an icon on that screen.  I can access it by using IE to go to www.zinio dot com etc but I can’t get the Zinio Reader itself to install.

Am I misunderstanding the way the tablet treats Windows 8.1?  It looks the same to me as the Windows 8.1 that’s on my laptop. 

Second, is this tablet more correctly referred to as a Windows Tablet, even though it is not anything to do with one that they built.  It’s clearly not an iPad, and it doesn’t run anything Android.  All I can see that’s left in the forums is Windows. 

Thanks for any help on these.  (there will be more I’m sure)

Hoges

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:04 AM

Hey Hoges -

The way I'm understanding it,

if you download the Zinio App for Windows 8 it installs on the "Metro" side of Win 8,

but if you download the Zinio Desktop Reader, it installs on the "Desktop" side of Win 8.

Is that what you want to do?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:29 AM

Hi JohnWho,

No, not exactly.

I can d/l the App to the App/Tile side of the tablet and it joins all the other app things I can tap with my finger and start up.  That's fine, and I can d/l my magazines to it OK, although I do have other issues with the app that I have asked Zinio about but am yet to hear back.

What I can't do is d/l the Zinio Reader to the "classic" desktop of the tablet.  I have the Zinio Reader on my laptop on the boat.  I can't get it to d/l to the tablet.  Just refuses to do anything and won't put an icon on the Desktop side, that I much prefer to work on.  I can't see how to add anything to this side of the tablet.  Something's escaping me here.  I don't have a box that I can drag up that says things like "Program" or "Search" etc.

Is there a book on how to do this?  I have a "Getting Started with Windows" booklet that is generic and came with the tablet - it deals with Windows, that I already know and applies to my Laptop and other Windows PCs, but doesn't tell me how to apply any differences to the Tablet.  That is, while it may be something that Windows will do on a PC, it sure won't do it on this tablet.

Ideas gratefully received.

Terry

#4 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:31 AM

JohnWho,

I do not have a Start button on the bottom of the tablet if that tells you anything.

Hoges

#5 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:13 PM

Hey Hoges, I feel your pain.

:)

Maybe this will work:

Go to Cnet Download.com, here:

http://download.cnet.com/Zinio-Magazine-Reader/3000-2164_4-32396.html

and download the Zinio Reader for Windows.

While I didn't complete the procedure, it appears that this will install the reader on the "desktop" side of Win 8.

Let us know if this works out, OK?

#6 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:01 PM

Hi JohnWho,

No luck.  It did instal two icons on the classic screen, one called "My Zinio Library", which simply leads to a Windows folder with three things in it, none of which activate anything, and a second icon, Zinio Reader, which tries to start up but gives me an error message when I try to log in.  The error message (210) leads to a general error message page which leave me none the wiser as to which error #210 refers to (why give it a number then refuse to identify it?)

I thought it might be that I was logged in to Zinio on the Metro side via the App so I logged out and tried it on the old side but same result.

Never mind.  As clunky as the App reader is, at least I can read them there and in any event my primary purpose in buying this unit was to get the storage so I don't have to micro-manage My Library.  I've sent a second message to Zinio Support asking for explanations.

Since you appear to be a chappy with a wealth of knowledge, perhaps you could answer these:-

1.  Should I refer to this tablet as a Windows Tablet, because it runs Windows, even though it is not made by MS?

2.  Is there a guide book for how to make this tablet run its Windows?

3.  Can I put a Start button back on this?  I'd like to put more icons/shortcuts on the old side (where The Force is) so I don't have to go to the Empire's Metro side.

Your input would be appreciated.

ps - How's Tampa today?  Perth is in the middle of a 2-day summer disturbance, with lots of lightning and thunder and rain, even though it's still hot.

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:33 PM

1.  Sure, why not?

2.  Not sure, but many tablet's have downloadable manuals that have some Windows guidance.

3.  Yes, but it requires a third party (not Microsoft) product.   I can't think of name of program right now, but if you ask in the Win 8 section, I suspect members will be all over it.

Tampa area 'should have high tomorrow of around 70 F which I believe is about normal for this time of year.  I understand your storms - Tampa is supposedly the "lightning capital" of the US.

Edited by JohnWho, 29 January 2015 - 07:35 PM.

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

Ah, it all comes back to me.   :)

For question 3 - Program called 'Classic Shell".   Free

http://classicshell.net/

#9 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:38 PM

That's it!  :bananas:

I did that to my Toshiba laptop but I forgot.  I now have the button back so I will begin the process of adding stuff to the "correct" side of the tablet.

Check back later for more examples of my shortcomings in comprehension.

Thanks

Terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users