Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

R9 290x Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bpeel123

Bpeel123

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:37 PM

Hello, 

I've been having (what I can only assume is) a graphics card problem. Sometimes when playing a game my monitor will turn black, and the fan on the card will get much louder. I can still hear audio when this happens so the computer itself is still on, and the only way to power it off is to flip the switch on the PSU.

Originally I had this problem a few months ago when trying to connect a second monitor to my gpu's second dvi port. When i did this, I would get this problem after ~5-10 minutes even when idle. I disconnected the monitor from the gpu and ran it off the motherboard instead, and had no problems for several weeks. 

The problem then started occurring even without the second monitor being connected to the card. I disconnected it entirely (from the motherboard) and again, went a few weeks without any problems. Now, even on one monitor, I am getting the black screen problem with increasing regularity. It used to be an occasional problem when playing games, but it has now happened 8+ times in the past 48 hours. 

So far I have done the following: 

• Updated GPU drivers
  • Ensured GPU is properly seated
  • Turned down power and clock speeds (from stock, has never been overclocked)
  • Checked for overheating

I have gotten black screens while playing various different games, on a range of graphic settings. Full PC specs can be found below. 

Any help is appreciated. 

Win 8.1 64bit
i5-4670
Radeon R9 290x
MSI-B85M P33
Rosewill Hive 650W PSU
8GB HyperX Fury RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:25 PM

Hi,

My two guesses are

The card is underpowered for the tasks you are calling on it to do. Or that it is overheating as a result of those tasks

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users