Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome Bookmarks Change?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

What is up with the Bookmark change in Chrome?  Tiles, I don't think so, am I missing something or can this be changed?  I hate it, and went to Google Chrome Help Forum and complained, not that it will do any good.  I must be missing something because I don't see anyone else complaining.  I can't imagine all of Chrome users liking this?

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!categories/chrome/linux

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:53 PM

Those Tiles has been these for at least the last couple of releases, if you don't want any, just hover over the right area of each and there's an "X" in the corner to delete. You're right, I don't want these, at least in this manner, see more below. 

These are really browsing history on my computer, only one of those sites I have bookmarked. 

Though I'd welcome a "Speed Dial" type of bookmarks to my favorite sites, that's not quite what these are. Just if you want to go back & revisit pages. 

Here is an article of interest that may be of assistance. 

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!category-topic/chrome/linux/g9yIBpp85XI

Hope this helps and am going to try it on my Google Chrome. 

EDIT: I could tell no difference. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 25 January 2015 - 12:12 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,296 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:38 AM

Not sure we are talking about the same thing so here is a screenshot.  My Bookmarks have never looked liked this...at all...not even close lol.

5zl4sn.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,296 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:02 PM

Got the normal one back with new system! hope it don't come back! don't know how that happened.  I have no flipping idea how this happened? lol, the weirdest stuff seems to happen to me.

Edited by pcpunk, 25 January 2015 - 04:09 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,296 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:09 PM

OMG! it's back.  I can't believe that no one else is talking about this, Tiles-errg! I think I'm going to have a panic attack.  I guess I will have to figure out tomorrow if I can revert to the last release of chrome.  This is a real bad idea, and, I don't like Firefox very well so what is one to do?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:19 AM

It's not doing this with me when I open Bookmark Manager. 

You may have to reset Chrome back to defaults, as a precaution may need to backup your bookmarks, this is a simple task. May have to reinstall your extensions. First, backup your bookmarks, it can be to any folder of your choosing. 

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/96816?hl=en

Reset Google Chrome Instructions. 

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en

See if this makes things right. If you have a 2nd install, it'll need to be reset also, or whatever is syncing with that one will just come right back to you. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:30 AM

Have you tried the solution shown here?  It would help to know which version of Chrome you are currently using.  The image you show appears to be for either a Beta version or something specific for Linux users. The current version for Windows users is 40.0.2214.91 m and does not display the Tiles.

Chrome - disable enhanced bookmarks

Edited by TulsaRose, 26 January 2015 - 07:45 AM.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,296 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

It's not doing this with me when I open Bookmark Manager. 

You may have to reset Chrome back to defaults, as a precaution may need to backup your bookmarks, this is a simple task. May have to reinstall your extensions. First, backup your bookmarks, it can be to any folder of your choosing. 

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/96816?hl=en

Reset Google Chrome Instructions. 

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en

See if this makes things right. If you have a 2nd install, it'll need to be reset also, or whatever is syncing with that one will just come right back to you. 

Cat

O-boy why me? lol.  First thing I did was Reset.  Bookmarks backed up.

I just backed up bookmarks again and it is taking forever, something is wrong?  I shut down the process, I've done this many times before and it NEVER took this long.  I also reported this to google.

I don't have a second install, but as you might remember I lost XP and recently installed LMM17.1 don't think that would matter but what do I know.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,296 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:19 PM

Have you tried the solution shown here?  It would help to know which version of Chrome you are currently using.  The image you show appears to be for either a Beta version or something specific for Linux users. The current version for Windows users is 40.0.2214.91 m and does not display the Tiles.

T.R. Yes it would be specific to Linux and it is version 40.0.2214.91 (64-bit)  Wait, I see that we are talking about the same version, is that possible?  I will go and take a look, maybe I did something wrong.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,296 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

This worked, thanks soooo much!  I lost some hair over that lol

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:23 PM

Glad it worked out for you.  :thumbup2:

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:20 AM

Just so happened, ran across that same solution yesterday, and the reason why I didn't suggest it, was that I was on Linux Mint at the time, but didn't see the same page on my end (the enhanced bookmarks). My system is also 64 bit, and so are our browsers & some other software. 

Knew it couldn't have been a beta or developer build on Linux, though browsers & plug-ins will sometimes be pushed out to Linux users first, using us to experiment & fine tune features for future versions. Well, when we see these on Windows, we'll know what to do to correct this, if not desired. 

Thank You for your contribution.  :)

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users