Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe - Plug&play high cpu !; svchost - Dcomlaunch high memory?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 b.groves

b.groves

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:12 PM

Techs,

Not sure what to do next on a Dell Optiplex 390 W7 Pro desktop with two symptoms:

1. High CPU usage-25% for svchost.exe ( even in safe mode) - Plug and play is the offending service

2. high memory use for svchost.exe 112mb - (only in normal boot)- Is 112mb high? Not sure of the offending service. Attached services are Desktop Session Mgr, RDP Session Mgr, Distributed Link Tracking Client Superfetch, Prog Compatibility Asst , Network Connections, Offline files, or Windows Audio Endpoint Builder.  I suspect Superfetch because it seems to be only service in group with CPU usage.

I used Task Manger and Resource Monitor to gather the info above.

Other symptoms:

1. Device Manager takes forever to come up ( even in safe mode)

2. Normal reboot takes forever

Things tried to fix:

1. sfc /scannow - OK no corrupt files

2. Malwarebytes Scan -OK no infections

3. Malwarebytes RootKit scan -OK no infections

4. TDSKiller RootKit scan - OK no infections

5. Rkill - OK no infections

Any ideas to address the CPU usage I guess as that seems to be my worst problem.

Thanks in advance,

b.groves

Edited by hamluis, 04 March 2016 - 08:17 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:22 PM

Shut down the computer, unplug the power cord and hold the power button for 30 seconds.

Unplug everything from the computer except the keyboard, mouse, and one monitor.

Plug the power cord back in and power it up. Does it have the same problem?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 b.groves

b.groves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestion zcomputerwiz.  I tried the power button deal with no change in the problem.  I ran a Kaspersky Recuse Disk scan.  I ran a dos prompt chkdsk /f/r .   No change.  I'm doing a W7 repair install now.  I will report back.

#4 b.groves

b.groves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

W7 Repair load did not fix anything.  I believe that the issue is a printer driver for Canon Pixma MG2520. 

I started a series of updating all the Dell OptiPlex drivers and that went quick.  Started on printers and the Canon driver update took hours.  The Uninstall is taking hours now.  Hope I am on to something.

#5 b.groves

b.groves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

Removed Canon drivers and the problem remains.  Not sure what to do next?

#6 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:34 PM

It sounds like a hardware problem, take any add-in sound, video, network, etc. cards out of the computer (with the power off and unplugged of course) and disable any onboard audio and network devices in the BIOS if possible.

We want to leave only the essential components turned on for testing so we can identify the culprit.

I have seen this before with a damaged USB port as well so be sure to carefully inspect any USB ports.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#7 b.groves

b.groves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:47 PM

zcomputerwiz thanks for the insight.  I agree there is a hardware error.  I'll spend a little more time on this when I can and then I getting new hardware.  The time we have spent on this is ridiculous.  Thanks and we can close the thread . 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users