Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer works but won't post beep

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DarkD

DarkD

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:09 PM

I'm new to assembling computers from scratch, but as I understand it, my computer is supposed to make a beep when I start it up indicating that everything is alright.  I don't have any error messages or anything and the computer works perfectly so far, but I thought the post beep was essential.  Is there any diagnostic I can perform to see whether there's an error message that I'm just not seeing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:23 PM

I assume that the MOBO has a connector for a speaker (two pins marked SPKR) and has a small tow pin connector with two wires to a case mounted speaker.  IF not, no beeps shall be issued.  The option to turn on or off the beep option would be in the BIOS and it may be disabled.

#3 DarkD

DarkD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:13 AM

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z97-A/e9378_z97-a_ug_v2_for_web_only.pdf

Your right, its not hooked up.  But I opened the PC up and I couldn't find the 4-pin front panel speaker for the life of me.  

http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=493

Can you find the front panel warning speaker in this manual?  As far as I can tell it doesn't have one...

edit

bleep I think I found the answer.  Someone on tomshardware said to another guy that cases don't support warning speakers anymore while motherboards do....  WTF, how cheap can this case be.  I looked up the accessory and it's two bloody dollars...  Now I have to go out and buy a separate accessory because F'ing Zalman cases don't wanna spend an extra two dollars so I can have beep codes again....  How cheap can someone be....  I spent a good hour trying to figure that out....  Maybe more....  

Edited by DarkD, 25 January 2015 - 06:42 AM.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,829 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:26 AM

I'd be lost too without at least one beep.  Besides the fan noise and hard drives spinning up, it is an important audible clue when troubleshooting. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users