Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[HDD] Hard Disk Drive space limitation under Windows?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:09 PM

Alright so,

I recently came across this thread here in the Windows 7 section:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/564042/90-free-cpu-free-ram-computer-freezeslow/

As I was helping the user, he told me that Windows would only recognize 1.5TB of the 3TB HDD he's using as his main drive. Installing the chipset, AHCI, RAID, SATA, etc. drivers from AMD didn't change anything. Apparently, this is due to MBR disk limitations under Windows, from what I read there:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-sp1-64-bit-only-recognizes-746gb-of-3tb/7737adf3-e4c2-46eb-b67b-0dbbe60c84be

Is there anyone that can explains that concept to me in Layman's terms? Is there anyway for that OP to use the full 3TB of storage on his HDD without having to convert it to GPT (which would probably include to format it as well).

Thank you.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,671 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:56 PM

Going to GPT on a BIOS computer can give compatibility problems. GPT partitioning is one way to get to the 3TB limit.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/bios.html

If the drive is Seagate, they provide a driver to get the full capacity of the drive. See Migrate your data to 3TB drive on Windows Vista & 7. Part 2. 

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/beyond-2tb/

#3 Demonheim

Demonheim

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:13 PM

hmm welp gonna have to wait for aura for that, thanks.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:36 AM

Thank you for the links John, I'm going to read them tomorrow. Also, I'll try to see what hard drie Demon have and if it's a Seagate, we'll try your solution.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:57 PM

I'm looking for more opinions on this.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#6 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

I don't really get it, it doesn't show up as a 3TB drive? Or it doesn't allow you to create a partition of that size?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:00 PM

The hard drive doesn't show up as a 3TB drive under Windows, only 1.5TB. This explains it I guess:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26203-convert-gpt-disk-mbr-disk.html

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:03 PM

What happens when you make two 1.5TB partitions in a machine that has UEFI and then try to install windows on one of those?

EDIT: Trying to install it with the one that only has BIOS of course.

Edited by Datcoolguy, 31 January 2015 - 07:04 PM.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:15 PM

Well we can't really make two 1.5TB partitions, because that's the total size of the drive that is detected under Windows 7 for a MBR partitionned drive. If we were to make two equal partitions it would be 750GB each.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#10 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:19 PM

There's gotta be a solution that splits the drive into several ones to fix this issue. I mean it might take a firmware or even hardware update but it should be possible to have a compatibility mode of sorts that makes the drive show up as two smaller ones for people running BIOS. Just brainstorming here

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:22 PM

I thought about messing with the Hard Drive Controller Mode in the BIOS to see what it gives, but it could make Windows unbootable and since its not my computer, I won't propose that.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#12 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:31 PM

Maybe use a boot loader of some sort to be able to read a GPT disk on a non UEFI machine? 

I think i'm not helping here, i'll leave it to someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:37 PM

It's all good don't worry :) The easiest solution here would be to make Demon back up his data, format the drive, convert it to GPT and install Windows 8.1 on it.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#14 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:07 PM

Doesn't win 8 require UEFI to boot from a GPT install? Like as in just like Windows 7? (Talking 64 bits here of course)

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 10:12 AM

Windows 8 supports GPT natively from what I saw in the past. You can't install Windows 7 on a GPT partition the standard way, you need to create a UEFI bootable USB.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users