Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast -- trying to uninstall....

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Bamagirl15

Bamagirl15

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:19 PM

And it gets stuck every single time at this point.  I even re-installed Avast thinking I was missing this particular file it's stuck on in the removal process.  But no luck.  I'm actually having to go to Task Manager to shut down the process - otherwise, I'm stuck forever.  :(

Any suggestions?  I don't know even know what type of file this is...

Avast-rev_zpsffb88754.jpg

Edited by Bamagirl15, 24 January 2015 - 03:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:23 PM

Avast Uninstall Utility | Download aswClear for Avast Removal Uninstall our software using avastclear

Sometimes it's not possible to uninstall Avast the standard way - using the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in control panel. In this case, you can use our uninstallation utility avastclear.

1. Download avastclear.exe on your desktop
  2. Start Windows in Safe Mode
  3. Open (execute) the uninstall utility
  4. If you installed Avast in a different folder than the default, browse for it. (Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)
  5. Click REMOVE
  6. Restart your computer

If that doesn't solve the uninstall problem then use Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Bamagirl15

Bamagirl15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:38 PM

Buddy - I've the avastclear.exe once, but I'll try again, as I'm now in safe mode.  if it fails to uninstall (as it did last time I tried), I'll move on to the 2nd suggestion.  Thanks.

#4 Bamagirl15

Bamagirl15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

Almost 15 minutes in with the revo uninstaller and we're still stuck in exactly the same spot.  I don't know what the "kernel driver aswNdisFlt" is, but it's made my system VERY unhappy.  I'll give it a few more minutes before I stop the process (which I can only do via Task Manager).  :(  I see this "help" log & while the problem sounds similar, I'm running Win7.   http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/kmodeexceptionnothandled-aswndisfitsys-windows-8/592f5884-4c0a-43ff-b073-4ea884de7bfc

Edited by Bamagirl15, 24 January 2015 - 04:31 PM.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,612 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:26 PM

Malware scan of aswndisflt.sys (avast! Antivirus) e96d8dc9a60425782fc8a9393ceb90dac566c8dc - herdProtect aswndisflt.sys avast! Antivirus AVAST Software a.s.

It runs as a Windows 64-bit kernel mode device driver named “Avast! Firewall Driver”.

EDIT: I will look for a way to shut down the firewall. Have you tried disabling in the Task Manager before removing using Revo?

EDIT 3: More info from the web. You may need to uninstall the firewall first. You would think the Avast Uninstaller would handle this in Safe Mode but
your attempt did not.
Steps to remove the firewall:
  • go to programs and features in Windows
    • select Avast! and click 'uninstall/change'
  • choose the 'change' tab and continue
  • untick firewall from the 'tools' column and continue
  • wait ... done
  • be sure to at least enable the Windows firewall (might need a reboot before)

Yes, I realize the Avast listing in Add/ Remove may be missing or broken. You may need to reinstall.... :unsure:

Edited by buddy215, 24 January 2015 - 04:48 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Bamagirl15

Bamagirl15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

Buddy - I have tried once to disable Avast before removal.  I've tried so many things that I can't remember if I did that before attempting to remove with Revo. I'll hold off a bit & see what  you come up with re: disabling the firewall.  I know last night I ran "RKill" before attempting to remove Avast.   

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,612 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:52 PM

Yeah, take a break....I added info in my last post.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

aswndisflt.sys is avast's Filtering NDIS driver.

From what you describe it appears part of the uninstallation process has become corrputed. I recommend you reinstall avast, reboot to verify it is working, then reboot in safe mode and try uninstalling again.

Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel due to the presence of related services and processes running in the background. Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service (and associated processes) or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Gmer99

Gmer99

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:41 PM

Hello Bamagirl let me help you by giving you a good idea how to uninstall Avast ... I always use REVO Unistaller free and i do advanced uninstalations to all software i want out from my pc even the stubborn ones are gone...>>> http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html :bananas:

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:46 PM

Bamagirl15 has already tried using Revo.

#11 Bamagirl15

Bamagirl15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:21 PM

I tried revo and last night I also reinstalled Avast last night (rebooted) and tried to uninstall again thinking it may be missing a file needed to complete the process.  No go on that process either.

Moving on to this: 

Steps to remove the firewall:
  • go to programs and features in Windows
    • select Avast! and click 'uninstall/change'
  • choose the 'change' tab and continue
  • untick firewall from the 'tools' column and continue
  • wait ... done
  • be sure to at least enable the Windows firewall (might need a reboot before)

Yes, I realize the Avast listing in Add/ Remove may be missing or broken. You may need to reinstall.... :unsure:

Add/Remove link for Avast still there, as I've never been able to remove it!  :)

I don't see a "firewall" to untick in the menu -- am I overlooking it?

AvastChange_zps440b0b3d.jpg

Edited by Bamagirl15, 24 January 2015 - 07:24 PM.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:44 PM

Have you tried checking with....?This may be an issue which has already been reported and has a solution but not in their knowledge base articles.

#13 Bamagirl15

Bamagirl15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:59 PM

I have tried one of those - no help yet. Lol -- does that mean we're running out of idea's here? ;)

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,612 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:10 PM

Looking at the image, I'm not sure what that ? represents next to the Firewall and others. Maybe it is only available in paid version or is not available at all or it wasn't installed.

So, the question is....do you know what firewall...Windows or Avast or none other than possibly the router has one...are you using?

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:12 PM

RejZor's avast Uninstall tool (avast-cleanup-tool)

Important...There will be no avast! Cleanup Tool update for version 2015. Please use avast!’s official utility and do not use my tool for 2015 and later versions because it will not clean things properly and entirely. You can still use my tool for older versions if you still happen to use them...However, when everything else fails and you really need to start from scratch, use my tool as it will remove everything related to avast!. Make sure you don’t have other avast! programs installed as it will remove them as well!

IMO that essentially says "use at your own risk".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users