Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Unable To Get To Desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sirryda

Sirryda

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:20 PM

A couple of weeks ago, I was using my laptop to play a game. It crashed and had to be restarted, saying that there was a file missing from the windows file. I would restart a few times, wouldn't work. Two days later, restarted and worked ok for 2-3 days, then it stopped. It would show the Toshiba logo, check for a disc, then give me a screen that says "windows was not shut down properly. Do you want to work in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with prompts, last good know configuation, start normally". No matter what option i clicked, it would try to start, then a blue screen that is on the screen for a split second, would start up again.

I tried to use my recovery disc but it would freeze up as soon as it started and had to be restarted. A few friends suggested that I reformat my laptop, so I borrowed my friend's windows xp disk to reinstall it. Worked fine. I then used my recovery disc. Worked fine until yesterday. My laptop froze so I restarted it. Its going back to the toshiba logo, "windows was not shut down properly" screen, but not reading the windows xp disc in it.

It's a Toshiba a65-s125 laptop.
Intel® MobileCeleron Processor 2.8 GHz
768 ram
Windows XP home

Any help would be appriecated. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:07 AM

I would believe it is a hardware not a software problem. Bad memory can cause what you described. Run this memory program.
Also heat can make systems very unstable. Does the ntebook appear to be over heating?
Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"
MicroSoft's Memory Test
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:31 PM

If the above doesn't remedy the problem try last known good configuration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users