Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A problem uninstalling a program

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Flinty

Flinty

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:37 PM

I have a program in my computer that I do not want, called TuneUp Utilities 2014. It keeps popping up on my screen to tell me that TuneUp has stopped working. So annoying that I can't use my computer. When I go to 'Control', then 'progams to uninstall', then highlight TuneUp utilities 2014 to uninstall it, nothing happens. No messages come up, or anything. It doesn't uninstall. I have uninstalled programs before, but the process has stopped working. I have a Windows Vista. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

You can try Revo Uninstaller.

#3 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:44 PM

Try the uninstaller (direct download) for the program.

#4 error80

error80

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:49 PM

I have a program in my computer that I do not want, called TuneUp Utilities 2014. It keeps popping up on my screen to tell me that TuneUp has stopped working. So annoying that I can't use my computer. When I go to 'Control', then 'progams to uninstall', then highlight TuneUp utilities 2014 to uninstall it, nothing happens. No messages come up, or anything. It doesn't uninstall. I have uninstalled programs before, but the process has stopped working. I have a Windows Vista. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks.

A wierd suggestion, Before the file name put XXX, and then delete the file. Also look to see where it's coming from i.e. temp files and take it apart or delete it one piece at a time. You can also try the trial download of revo uninstaller to take it out. Best of luck.

#5 concerro

concerro

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:10 AM

Some files only do partial uninstalls. If the program is starting up on its own you can use msconfig.exe through the RUN bar to make certain programs not startup when you log in. That might make it easier to use the above listed programs to uninstall the one you are trying to get rid of.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:03 AM

That's usually always the best way. Gets rid of folders, registry keys & all. Normally a reboot will be required to finish. 

Most of these 'Tune Up' utilities aren't worth the media they're written on, if purchased as boxed set. If anything, they often cause more harm than good. 

In case there's no downloadable uninstaller, then what Alexstrasza suggested in Revo Uninstaller is the next best option. One can use the portable version (under 'Other Downloads' or install to the OS, it doesn't matter. The current Free version is 1.9.5, just above the Portable Version. 

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 error80

error80

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:15 PM

That's usually always the best way. Gets rid of folders, registry keys & all. Normally a reboot will be required to finish. 

Most of these 'Tune Up' utilities aren't worth the media they're written on, if purchased as boxed set. If anything, they often cause more harm than good. 

In case there's no downloadable uninstaller, then what Alexstrasza suggested in Revo Uninstaller is the next best option. One can use the portable version (under 'Other Downloads' or install to the OS, it doesn't matter. The current Free version is 1.9.5, just above the Portable Version. 

Cat

Cat

I also have Revo Uninstaller. It's a great tool to have especially in cases where you find there's something without an uninstaller. Even if someone can't buy it right away, they can get a trial period. It works...

#8 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

When I go to 'Control', then 'progams to uninstall', then highlight TuneUp utilities 2014 to uninstall it, nothing happens. No messages come up, or anything. It doesn't uninstall.

normally when this happens its a sign of a virus preventing you from uninstalling it

#9 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

normally when this happens its a sign of a virus preventing you from uninstalling it

Malware only protect their own components (if they have any self-defense mechs built in). With programs like these it's usually botched uninstallation procedures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users