Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I turn on WIFI without the keyboard.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 nickautomatic

nickautomatic

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:50 PM

I have a netbook/notebook with some keys do not work anymore. I am now using an external keyboard but it does not funtion exactly as the built in keyboard. Using the built in key, I can turn some features like turning on the wifi by pressing fn keys and F8. But with the external keyboard, it does not work. I cannot turn on WIFI anymore or any other feature that this netbook has.

I am considering replacing the built-in keyboard but do not have budget as of the moment. I tried google but it did not help.

I have U135DX, I believe, it's the model number. It's MSI, running windows 7 starter. These are the information. I hope that will help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:15 PM

Some wireless adapters allow you to enable/disable radio in their advanced settings but I am not sure if this would work for a wireless adapter disabled via the keyboard.

You could disable the wireless adapter you have and purchase a USB wireless adapter like this.

#3 nickautomatic

nickautomatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:17 PM

Thank you JohnC_31. I will try that.

#4 nickautomatic

nickautomatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:21 PM

By the way, can it be turned on using a mouse like going to the control panel or sort of?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:22 PM

If the computer stays in one place and is not moved around much, you might want to look at a USB adapter with an antenna that can get you more range.

Edit: Yes, it would not depend on any keys on the netbook. You could do anything with a mouse and your external keyboard.

Here is an adapter with an external antenna I was referring to. There are many on Ebay also.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 January 2015 - 02:27 PM.

#6 nickautomatic

nickautomatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:28 PM

Yeah, I get that. But what I am trying to do is to turn the WIFI on without the built-in keyboard. Usually, I just press Fn (funtion) key and F8 keys. Since this built-in keyboard no longer works, I can no longer use the wireless connection. I tried using external keyboard but it does not help. Sorry to sound stupid or dumb.

#7 nickautomatic

nickautomatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:34 PM

Edit: Yes, it would not depend on any keys on the netbook. You could do anything with a mouse and your external keyboard.

Do you have an idea how to do it?

#8 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:08 PM

I've been reading this page: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToConnectToAWirelessWIFINetworkFromTheCommandLineInWindows7.aspx

As a result I created two batch files. One named Connect.bat and the other named disconnect.bat

They are both located on the desktop

Disconnect.bat contains:

netsh wlan disconnect

Connect.bat contains:

netsh wlan connect name=[MySSID]

I can connect or disconnect my WIFI by double clicking the appropriate batch file.

I recommend giving it a try.

#9 nickautomatic

nickautomatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:28 PM

Great, I will give it a try HairCut when I get home. Currently at work.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:37 PM

Most times the USB wireless is simply plug and play. Windows will automatically install the drivers and you should see available networks. If it needs a driver, those are either shipped with the adapter or downloaded from the manufacturers site.

#11 nickautomatic

nickautomatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:39 PM

Most times the USB wireless is simply plug and play. Windows will automatically install the drivers and you should see available networks. If it needs a driver, those are either shipped with the adapter or downloaded from the manufacturers site.

I understand now. Thanks for that information.  I will give it a shot. Thank you.

#12 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:22 PM

Hey Nick,
Check if you can change the settings in BIOS such that 'f' keys toggle to behave like if 'fn' is already pressed.
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#13 nickautomatic

nickautomatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

I have not tried that but I will give it a shot as well. Thanks for that CV. Bleeping rocks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users