Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Non-readable hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FlorianK

FlorianK

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

Hello all,

I'm facing a bit of a problem.

A friend gave me a faulty hard drive from her laptop. She wishes me to recover the files on the disk, because it should contain pictures of her now-deceased mother that she hadn't backed up.

I installed the disk in my computer, Windows' disk management recognizes the disk, but gives the message (trying to translate Dutch--> English):

Disks should be initialised before you are able to acces them via Management of logical disks.
Select the disks: (Disk 0 is selected)
Us the following partition style for the selected disks:
MBR
GPT

Selecting MBR and 'OK' gives an error code:

Cannot execute because of an error in a I/O-device.

I tried to copy the entire disk (including errors) to a safe place using Miray's HD Clone. While the program recognizes the disk, it hangs after clicking 'start copying'.

Then I tried using Seagate's File Recovery.

This recognises the disk as well, it notices that it doesn't have an MBR, so it gives me the option to scan the entire disk for known file types.

After clicking 'Scan' it gives me the warning:

"During disk drive acces, a read error occured. Please be advised that further use of this disk drive can cause additional damage which may prevent any further data recovery attempt by software. In-lab Data Recovery is suggested for disk drives experiencing physical failures such as read errors.

Because an in-lab data recovery can cost up to 750 euro (about 840 dollar), at a forensic facility over here in the Netherlands, I did ignore the warning and made File Recovery do a search for about one-and-a-half hours. After that time it had scanned the first 48 MB of the 500GB hard disk.

The scan results show that it didn't find anything in this time.

Is there something I could do to recover the important photos, or is it really her problem wether she is willing to pay such a large amount of money for in-lab-recovery?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:00 PM

Personally, I would not stress the drive anymore. Reading only 48MB in 1 1/2 hours indicates a failing/failed drive. I would stop and ask if she wants to pay the fee for a professional recovery service.

#3 FlorianK

FlorianK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:05 PM

I was kind of affraid of that.

Also, I now see that there are two dots that look like some kind of an indicator on the back of the disk. They're both red.

For professional recovery service, is €750 / $840 a fair price, or should I look for another company?

(The website mentions that the price of recovery of a hard drive with software failure starts at €260,- and with hardware failure the price starts at €750.

I believe this is hardware failure.)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,650 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:19 PM

That sounds like a good price. In the U.S. it can be a minimum of $1000 but 260 Euro for software failure is very high IMHO. That can usually be done by an individual.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:57 PM

Ecdatarecovery.com has been reasonable every time I have used them (less then 500) each case is different but worth a try.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users