Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spambots on BC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:07 PM

Hi,

Everyday on the forums there are users who only open topics to advertise stuff, as I see the captcha isn't protection anymore. ;)

A good suggestion can be to make a required field what only shows on the register pages with a question like: "What is the name of the owner of BleepingComputer", the answer would be: "Grinler"

A other option would be KeyCAPTCHA, a puzzle what you need to solve.

It will help against the spambots. ;)

Haters gonna hate.

Edited by M. de Jager, 24 January 2015 - 01:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,861 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:08 PM

Thank you for your suggestion. We have procedures in place. The risk you run is choosing methods that are too stringent and eliminating actual potential members in serious need.

To use your example: How many people suffering from major malware damage and searching Google for help. Then seeing BC at the top of the list and registering will know who Grinler is? They would decline to register.

The staff does the very best job they can with the measures in place. While minimizing the loss of truly needy computer users getting the help they need.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 M. de Jager

M. de Jager
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:16 PM

I can agree.

And what about KeyCAPTCHA? That isn't give big problems, it's very easy to solve. :$

Edited by M. de Jager, 24 January 2015 - 03:16 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,861 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:57 PM

Not something we want to do at this time, for reasons we rather not divulge.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,464 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

Spam can, I think, be regarded as a nuisance on BC, not a major problem. Thanks in no small part to the members using the 'Report' button to report spam and, after that, the Admins in banning them.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 M. de Jager

M. de Jager
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:13 AM

Not something we want to do at this time, for reasons we rather not divulge.

Okay, thanks!  :thumbup2:

Spam can, I think, be regarded as a nuisance on BC, not a major problem. Thanks in no small part to the members using the 'Report' button to report spam and, after that, the Admins in banning them.

Chris Cosgrove

Okay, let's hunt to make reports! :wub:

#7 GRCScorpion

GRCScorpion

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:44 PM

Also I know slightly offtopic but why isn't https being used ?

I do post to other forums and they have it in use there.

I am sure you have reasons for it but I thought as a good practice in web security that https should be used as standard ?

Regards

Scorpion :tophat:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users