Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 Does Not Have Command Prompt

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Garcia

Paul Garcia

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:07 PM

Good morning everyone,

I am trying to fix some system issues that require the command prompt. However, I just realized that my Windows installation does not have the Command Prompt option available in the Apps screen. Actually, the whole "Windows System" section is missing (and I have another 8.1 machine, so I know exactly where they should be).

When I search for command prompt, I can get to an option that says "Launch Command Prompt" on the first line and "Command Prompt (Installation Req" on the second line. When I click this option nothing happens.

I am logged in with Administrator privileges when I do all of the above.

Please help! I am stuck here and do not want to try and get warranty service on this machine.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:11 PM

In start screen type "cmd" 

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

#3 Paul Garcia

Paul Garcia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:22 PM

In start screen type "cmd" 

Ok, that worked, but I need to be able to run it as an admin (find the Command Prompt in the Windows System, then right click and select run as admin). How do I do this?

Also, is there a way to have the Windows System section appear on the Apps screen and have the Command Prompt options appear when I right click on the Start menu?

#4 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:19 PM

Do you see the Command Prompt (Admin) if you right click on the Windows Start Button?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:30 PM

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.

A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.

This will open the Command Prompt with Administrator rights.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:13 PM

I just realized that my Windows installation does not have the Command Prompt option available in the Apps screen. Actually, the whole "Windows System" section is missing

That's really weird, and a bit suspicous.

I'm currently using Windows 8 not Windows 8.1, but I do also use 8.1 sometimes and to my knowledge all of the below instructions will be the same on it.

Add A Tile For The Command Prompt To The Windows System Section Of Your Apps Screen:
1. Open Explorer, navigate to "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEGOESHERE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools".
2. In Explorer, right click, choose "New shortcut".
3. In the Create Shortcut window, in the Type the location of the item line, type "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe", and click "Next".
4. In the Type a name for this shortcut line type "Command Prompt", and click "Finish".

Add A Tile For The Command Prompt To Your Start Screen:
1. Open Explorer, navigate to "C:\Windows\System32", and scroll down until you find "cmd.exe".
2. In Explorer, right click on "cmd.exe" and choose "Pin to Start".

Open A Command Prompt As Administrator When There Is No Shortcut In Your Start Screen Or Apps Screen:
1. Press "Control+ALT+Delete".
2. Choose "Task Manager" from the presented list.
3. In Task Manager go to "File", and then "Run new task".
4. In the Create new task screen, on the Open line, type "cmd.exe", and check the box for "Create this task with
administrative privileges
".
5. Click "OK".

Edited by hollowface, 26 January 2015 - 09:16 PM.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:09 AM

Finally ...

If you do not know were to look for tutorials, always look at the top of the particular forum area . . .

How to start an Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users