Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trustworthy, free, Firewall for Win 8

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nanasue

nanasue

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:12 PM

My son thinks my computer may not have a firewall and thinks I should have one. He told me that I should ask you guys if there is a free firewall that you would recommend for my laptop?

God Bless

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:03 PM

Hi Nana :)

The truth is that if you're running Windows 8, you have the in-built Windows Firewall, so you indeed have one. The Windows Firewall is usually quite good and is enough to not need a third party firewall, however its all a matter of preferences. A lot of helpers here recommend the Windows Firewall since its quite efficient and easy to use for the normal user. However, if you wish to use a third party alternative, let me know and I can give you some recommendations based on your computer specs. And if you're really using Windows 8, I suggest you to upgrade to Windows 8.1 right away to have an up to date Windows that will enhance its security but also its features.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:07 PM

I agree with Aura.

5 Reasons Why the Windows Firewall is One of the Best Firewalls.

For more info, please read Choosing a Firewall
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:13 PM

IMO, A firewall without HIPS is not that good.  You need granular control over what apps are allowed to run.

Essential Tools for safe computing

https://sites.google.com/site/dinodod/pc-standards

Please leave a comment on anything relative and help me expand on it.

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:20 PM

Hi there :)

IMO, A firewall without HIPS is not that good.  You need granular control over what apps are allowed to run.

HIPS-oriented firewall like Comodo Firewall or Emsisoft Online Armor can be very annoying to average users, as they will ask to let what programs run every step of the way.

If the user is just a standard user with a reliable AV and AM solution, then the Windows Firewall is enough.

Regards,
Alex

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:58 PM

HIPS-oriented firewall like Comodo Firewall or Emsisoft Online Armor can be very annoying to average users, as they will ask to let what programs run every step of the way.

If the user is just a standard user with a reliable AV and AM solution, then the Windows Firewall is enough.

I agree with that.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:47 PM

You have to keep in mind that a lot of firewall HIPS are user-dependent, such as COMODO's one. As effective as HIPS is as blocking processes, actions and warning the user about it, if a common user was to use HIPS without knowing what he's doing exactly, he could end up cutting his system from the Internet or even let a malware slip throught the HIPS. At this point, I would consider a firewall with HIPS for medium users that knows what they're doing.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:27 PM

That's true.  Sometimes I forget that the stuff I know isn't so basic :)

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:29 PM

Bleeping Computer is a family oriented site where we offer assistance to those who know very little about computing. As such, our forum discussion board and tutorials are targeted more for the novice user since they comprise much of our membership. We provide help based on that premise because it is impossible for us to know the extent of a member's background, knowledge level and experience level until we get to know them. We keep this in mind when writing replies since we know many novice members read various topics searching for answers without ever posting a reply.

With that said, we also have many experienced/professional members who contribute technical assistance to others and we certainly welcome those individuals who fall into that category...including their opinions and experience in various aspects of computing. All this makes Bleeping Computer the great community it is and stand apart from many other forum boards.

#10 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:05 PM

Bleeping Computer is a family oriented site where we offer assistance to those who know very little about computing. As such, our forum discussion board and tutorials are targeted more for the novice user since they comprise much of our membership. We provide help based on that premise because it is impossible for us to know the extent of a member's background, knowledge level and experience level until we get to know them. We keep this in mind when writing replies since we know many novice members read various topics searching for answers without ever posting a reply.

With that said, we also have many experienced/professional members who contribute technical assistance to others and we certainly welcome those individuals who fall into that category...including their opinions and experience in various aspects of computing. All this makes Bleeping Computer the great community it is and stand apart from many other forum boards.

Sorry

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:14 PM

No need to apologize if you fit in the latter group.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users