Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Leftovers from Ad-aware/Mcaffee removal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nanasue

nanasue

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:58 AM

My son says that there's probably a lot of these two programs on my laptop. Especially in some place called the registry. Does anyone know of a way to easily remove these leftovers? My son was very.... emphatic... when he told me not to touch the registry.

God Bless

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:08 PM

The correct way to remove McAfee is through its program folder via Start > All Programs or by using Programs and Features (Add/Remove), reboot when done, and then run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR).Ad-Aware is available in Four versions:
* Ad-Aware FREE Antivirus, is a proactive malware removal tool that allows users to combat today’s toughest cyber threats;
* Ad-Aware Personal Security, is a paid upgrade of Ad-Aware FREE that builds upon the product’s malware protection by adding a powerful Web filter that protects users against phishing attacks and online scams;
* Ad-Aware Pro Security actively protects users from the most dangerous forms of viruses, spyware, key loggers, Trojans password stealers, bot networks, adware, phishing and drive-by downloads.
* Ad-Aware Total Security combines all the features of Pro Security plus includes Parental Controls, Digital Lock and a File Shredder.

Which version was installed on the machine?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:12 PM

Hi Nana :)

It seems like your son tells you a lot of stuff am I right? McAfee have a special clean up tool made by their editor to remove any traces of their program on a system. All you have to do is to follow the instructions in the link below to download it and run them to clean the remnants.

McAfee Clean-up: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

As for Ad-Aware, Lavasoft doesn't seems to have a special clean up utility for it, which means that the product most likely uninstall easily and completely the standard way.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:25 PM

* How to uninstall Ad-Aware...page 20

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:30 PM

It doesn't look like they have a uninstall or clean up tool for it too. That's the same information I can find on their website FAQ when it comes to uninstalling the product. Is there a third party clean up tool for AdAware like the one you showed me for avast! ?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:38 PM

Not all security vendors have special clean up tools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users