Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lmcam

lmcam

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

I keep getting the black screen after windows WIN 64) boots on my HP Pavilion dv7 laptop.  No issues when booting in safe mode.  The only windows update not applied is the last netframe.  Malware Bytes and Norton are all up to date and there are no errors or issues reported by either.  If I restore I can get windows working again but it will come back as some point with future updates.  Is there a way to get this fixed once and for all? 

Attached is the results of a mini tool box run.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:30 PM

Sounds possibly like a video driver issue. Safe mode boots using a basic, low resolution driver, while a normal boot uses whatever driver is installed on the built-in video card.

Or it may be the video card itself. Have you tried connecting an external monitor and booting the computer normally?

For future reference, don't attach files to posts, copy and paste the file into the post. Most of us won't open an attachment because we don't know what it might contain -- it might be a text file, it might be something else.

#3 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:44 PM

Is this a black screen with movable cursor, or just a black screen?

If it is a black screen without cursor, how long have you left the computer to sit at the black screen?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#4 lmcam

lmcam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:02 PM

Oops - I did forget about attachments.

I get the plain black screen with no cursor...it can sit for hours with no change.

As long as I restore to the point before the windows updates published 1/13/2015 everything comes back and works properly.

I don't have an external monitor to attach and test to see if it is the card but since the laptop monitor works at all other times, I would not think it was the card itself.

From the Device Manager...

I have these two display adapters listed and ran the update driver software driver on each; each reports the best driver is currently installed.

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

Intel HD Graphics

The monitor is Generic PnP Monitor and it also reports the best driver is currently installed.

So far I can't see anything obviously wrong.  Are there any other ideas?  I do not want to install the patches from 13th until I know I can resolve the black screen issue.  I had installed each patch one at a time and had not issues until the next day when, after I had logged in with my finger print, windows started up as usual and then the black screen just after the desktop appeared. I cannot do anything once that black screen appears.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:07 PM

Did you reboot and let the computer run for a bit after installing each patch?

Can you log in with a username and password instead of your fingerprint?

#6 lmcam

lmcam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:16 PM

I rebooted after each patch but obviously did not let it run long enough after each patch - as I ended up with the black screen upon wake-up and login on the next day.

I can log in either way, username/password or biometric scan.  When the issue is present, it does not matter which method I use to log in, the black screen will appear where I cannot do/see anything. No cursor and cannot reboot.  In order to get into safe mode, I have to pop the battery and then reinstall and select safe mode.

Restore to the point before all/any of the 1/13 patches and everything works fine.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

Try installing the updates one by one, letting the computer run for a bit each time before rebooting. When you find the update causing the issue, roll it back and then go into windows updates and hide that update by right clicking it.

The alternative is to roll them all back and hide them all.

#8 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

First, please restore back to your known good date.

From an administrative command prompt run:

sfc /scannow

Then when that finishes, in the same administrative command prompt run:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

Next, download and run the System Update Readiness Tool

Finally, download and run SFCFix

When all of these steps are finished, upload sfcdetails.txt, sfcfix.txt, and C:\windows\logs\cbs\CheckSUR.log

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:38 PM

I would uninstall Norton Utilies...then run the chkdsk /r command and see if problems persist.

BC does NOT support the use of optimizers/registry cleaners, Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494 .

Symantec/Norton Utilities historically helped garner the disdain many have for these tools.  I would not expect much of a newer version.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users