Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Standoffs with longer threads?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gnaritas

gnaritas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:16 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to find motherboard/pcb standoffs with a thread diameter of at most 3mm and at least a total length of 25mm. Ideally they would be brass or steel, but at this point I'd be okay with anything.

The trouble I'm having is that I also need the threads to be at least 10mm long.

The sticking point seems to be that the standard for thread lengths of standoffs for this diameter of threads all seem to be 4mm, 6mm, or 8mm long, but again I need a thread that is at least 10mm long. I've searched through Digikey, Keystone electronics, and some other outlets for standoffs with the right properties, but I haven't had any luck.

I already had a few lying around that are perfect, so I know they exist, but I haven't had any luck finding any similar ones online. The ones I already possess appear to be 25mm long in total with 10mm long threads which are about ~2.5mm wide.

Does anyone know where I could find ones like these?

9MxgakN.jpg?1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 10:45 AM

Are these standoffs going into a blind threaded hole. If not, can you get a 15mm brass standoff with female threads on both ends and backscrew the standoff? You can also get the 15mm standoffs with female threads, I believe those are 3mm threads, and cut off the threaded portion of a 3mm machine screw to length, screw the stud into the standoff then apply a tiny amount of thin CA glue at the standoff/stud location.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,605 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:29 PM

Do they have to be brass, or metal?  Nylon standoffs come in a larger selection of sizes than the metal ones.  Plastic wil work too and add a ground strap where needed.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:21 AM

check your local computer stores for old outdated computers that theyre junking you maybe able to scavenge some

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users